Schwinn Straight 6

beepbeep

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
goddamit how did i miss this, I've been lookign for a medium for the last 2 years!

I have a couple of small ones and they are just a little too small for longer rides.

426756_2994473373099_1000128616_32911350_1483786963_n.jpg

It looks hardly ridden, a few paint chips from storage, no gravel/dirt rash, and almost no chainsuck or chaindrop marks on the chainstays and bottom bracket shell!

I too thought it looked small but decided to give it a shot anyway, as I'm 5'10" ish. But holding it up against my medium 2001 i-Drive 3.0 it seems like the Schwinn will have a longer cockpit due to the slacker seat angle.

I've bought a NOS Rock Shox Recon 351 (not sure of the age) to go with the long travel rear. The other parts will be circa 2001, coming off my i-Drive:

- First generation XT four pot hydros with steel braid hoses
- 1996-vintage SDG Ventura Comp Ti
- Mavic Crossroc UST disc wheels
- XTR M952 front and rear derailleurs
- XTR M952 shifters

I had an interesting week running around local bike shops trying to find compatible parts. I've got a old-generation Chris King NoThreadSet going onto the frame, and a Thomson Elite seatpost in that rare size of 26.8 (most shops didn't have it, and asked if I was putting it into a steel frame).

This is how my i-Drive 3.0 looks like, its 12 years old this year!

2368_1094817402887_1000128616_30323176_8641_n.jpg

Not yet, but I am aware this frame was posted for sale on Bonustomato.

I'm not sure that Straight 6s from 2001 were Homegrown (i.e. Made in the USA) though.

If I'm not mistaken, its also not made by Yeti, because Yeti had split from Schwinn by 2001.

correct on both points, not a homegrown and not made by yeti - but still awesome!

the cockpits do come up long cos of the very slack seat angle, but the head angle is a bit steeper than you would expect for a 6inch travel bike, but you do have some adjustment with the shock collar.

Make sure you keep us updated with the build!

yes only the pull shocks were homegrowns. Still cool though and welcome on the group

This was exactly the one I wanted, because this was the year they had IS-standard disc dropouts rather than Hayes 22mm mount, and I had a pleasant surprise when I found that the chainstay pivots are no longer a C clamp secured with bolts (which I believe is a weak point with the older frames).

Latest posts

Back