2008 Specialized Epic Comp

So how does it compare to your other full suss specialized?

Not being critical ( :oops: ) its just you say you never got on with any full susser before and I dont see much difference in this to the ones you had before.

By the way, I have next to no knowledge of full suss from a riding perspective so dont think Im being an arse. Interested to know.

In the past the full suss bikes I've had have been too heavy and I've never been able to get the rear suspension to do what I want. Every full suss bike I've had in the past has been great descending, but I don't want to be hindered on the climbs as a trade off. That said, I've not had a shock with a lockout before, which might have been what I needed. That way I could have locked out for the climbs and opened it up on the descents.

The suspension on the Epic is very on or off, there's no middle ground. I've set the rear shock up as per the Specialized video on YouTube and it seems spot on. Didn't notice I was riding a full suspension bike when climbing. When on the flat you could hit some bumps, feel a knock when the brain opened and then it would absorb them and then close off again. Decending it would open up and the shock would do its job. No pedal sap when sprinting. No bobbing when climbing. I'm right happy with it.

Just bought these from the site too, should be here early next week :)

IMG_4016.jpg

Wheels have landed and are now fitted. Wheels are 100g lighter than the previous DT wheesl, plus they have bladed spokes which look great! Also fitted a Shimano SLX HG-80 cassette to drop a few more grams. Hopefully get out on the bike this weekend and see how they go :)

Haven't updated this for a little bit, too many other projects on the go.

Crossmax's had to go back, so the Epic is back on its original wheels. Changed the grips to some Specialized Black and Grey ones. Also got both the newer style SRAM X7 shifters on it.

Used the Epic at the Whinlatter Challenge today and couldn't fault it. It really is a great bike, ideal for me. Suspension works when it's need and doesn't when its not, perfect.

WMTB_0239.jpg

love my epic - don't ride anything else at the mo. upgraded to X0 shifters and mech so can't wait to see how it rides.

Did you buy this off Jerky by any chance?

send me a link to the brain set up video on youtube if you still have it?

TL

cheers chap. what wheels are you running on it? mine are xc717s on hope hubs - very light.

interestingly i find both aesthetically and performance are better on 1.8 tyres than 2.1s

might just be me tho.

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WdEHimATcc

Good guide for the rear shock, I'd have set it up completely differently myself. Followed the guide though and it rides really well, brain does its job nicely.

Still running the original DT Swiss Wheels on it. They're light and stiff, so although I've toyed with other wheels I can't find anything lighter for a reasonable price. Front wheel has 28 spokes, cartridge bearing hub with 9mm axle (a lot thicker than normal!). Rear hub is something I may change down the line as its only a Deore hub, although upgraded for Specialized as the 'SL' model.

Latest posts

Back