2007 Orange Clockwork, number 200 of 200, update 11/4/13

Sweet Bike Jon,if only they did the 5 with the classic fade paint.
This make me want to get another clockwork

if you ask them they will do the clockwork paint on a 5, there was one on ebay a while ago.

Attachments

• clockwork5.jpg
    clockwork5.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,300
Hi Jon, i think you are being slightly silly, EVERYONE know's STD stands for standard.
As i stated what you have done makes it a modern day rider and i can see why you have done it, it's what you call a hotrod isn't it, just not my cup of tea, I suppose if they had not made it look like an old 1993 clockwork it may of helped, eg change the colour, i just look at it and see a 1993 clockwork with modern parts on, if it was any other colour i may like it. :LOL:

hey G, i wasn't being silly, just being sure what you meant. but of course it's a modern day rider, it's a modern bike, in the modern section of the website, the paint is deliberately in the older style, that was the point of Orange painting them like this, to evoke memories of the older clockworks, which obviously has done in your case.

i don't consider it a hotrod as such, most modern hardtail xc bikes have 100mm travel and disc brakes and riser bars, arguably it's a hotrod from the point of view of a pretty high spec but essentially no different to any other modern xc hardtail. even the 2 off the peg builds from Orange were built 100mm fork and riser bar.

but i won't be painting it different just so you 'may' like it! ;)

:)

Really like it, wante one of these but gave up looking form one as they seem to be rare as hens teeth.

I see this bike more as a 're issue'. It's what the Clockwork would have become if Orange had kept it as part of the range all the time.

TBH 'hotrodded' retro rides are okay in my book. If you brought say a Ti frame BITD and decided to keep it for life surely you would upgrade parts as they wore out etc. so the result would be new parts on an old frame?

graham1975":6n6gy5h5 said:
Maybe useable now in 2012 but with such a rear frameset i would of gone std, or atleast rigid up front and NON disc brakes, and put a middleburn on, don't get me wrong i think alot of old bikes are pigs to ride and i love my new modern bikes but your build doesn't do anything for me. sorry. :cry:
I think you're missing the point. It's a disc-only frame, so if he didn't use discs he wouldn't have any brakes at all, and it's designed for a 100mm travel fork.

It's intended as a modern bike that recalls some of the visual characteristics of the classic Clockworks, and that's exactly how he has built it up.

thought i'd update this thread, the 2007 clockwork has now become my winter bike as the Demon has effectively replaced it as my main rider.

this means it has been re-specced as the headset and brakes have been taken for the Demon, also the wheels are now in my Patriot.

also the RH xtr shifter died :(

the spec is now DT rear hub, goldtec front on xm819 rims, cane creek headset, raceface dues bar/stem/post/chainset, hope b/b, older hope mini brakes, xt shifters, reba world cup forks, and i have replaced the mechs with m970(?) mechs just because i always liked the look and they were going cheap!

i do have some plans for it though once we are done with the winter, respray of the frame and possibly the fork lowers, the fork bushes have died so i figured i'd get them painted to match the frame, then re-bush the forks and then look for a doner fork for the upper assembly as they are stupid money new! after that's done i want another king for it and i have a new seatpost for it that isn't worn where it's had the crud catcher on it!

here's the down-specced pics from today on the trail

:)

P1090583 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090585 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090584 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090587 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Back