Boardman Cougar team GAN replica-ish

regards the mech, i was gonna clean it up and try it (expecting to fail) just for fun, but the equivalent of the shimano b tension plate is missing so i may struggle anyway.

got some brakes though, full sachs new success modolo made, exactly the same as the above pic but with new success written on them instead, they'll do for the moment but ideally i still want to be mostly mavic so i'll see what else turns up over the next few weeks/months/years!

:D

another little update :)

i finally got a stem for this, i also have the chainset etc but it's in use on my other cougar, when i get a record chainset for that i'll have the mavic for this.

i don't like the miss matched wheels but i do have a almost visible matching rear wheel to the front but ideally i'd like a 650c front vento or shamal but i'm trying to keep this very low cost.

anyway, here's a pic.

:)

Attachments

• bc3.jpg
    bc3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,712
  • bc2.jpg
    bc2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,712
  • bc1.jpg
    bc1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,714
GAN TASTIC!!

24092011290.jpg

Chris Boardman's Gan track bike - for the hour record??
On display at the new Museum of Liverpool - they also have his TDF yellow jersey :cool:

Beautiful Frame!!! You've upset me now...I had a Cougar, hand built back in '96. Fred Williams (Wolverhampton) had a few in the window & I wanted the Mapei Team Colours. So got something closeish by Dolan...

I cannot believe I sold it for a Stupid price of £50 on EBay!! Only 4 Years ago! I'd Love it back, if anybody has it??...

Really liking this Thread Jon by the way...Sorry to Hi-Jack it! I don;t have any Pics of Boardman's Gan Bike, even from my '98 Tour Pics I took in Dublin.

Attachments

• Cougar.jpg
    Cougar.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,699
thought i'd update this as i have been messing about with it today.

i had been waiting to do more on it as i wanted a record chainset for my other cougar so i could then nick the mavic chainset from that cougar for this one, as with all projects i sometimes rob peter to pay paul! i got sick of trying to find the record chainset though so nicked the mavic one anyway (don't worry though, the other cougar is now complete again via other means)

anyway, i also found a guy on ebay selling record 8 speed 12-23 cassettes for sensible money so now all i really need to get the bike going is an 8 speed campag rear mech (i stripped the mavic mech down and haven't got round to putting it back together, but i i have lost interest in it as it looks such a horrible mess!!)

the only other thing is i haven't decided how i want to route the brake cables from the brake levers to keep them looking neat and tidy.

i also still want a mavic aero bar assembly and if possible a matching 650 front wheel to the rear, i hate miss-matching wheels although i realise it is very common in the TT world.

anyway here are some up dated pics

:D

Attachments

• cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,493
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,493
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,493
a couple more :D

Attachments

• cb4.jpg
    cb4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,480
  • cb5.jpg
    cb5.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,480
  • cb6.jpg
    cb6.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,480
another little update :D

finally got a a rear mech for this, i didn't bother trying to sort out the mavic mech i found as it was too far gone so i went looking for a campag 8 speed, as usual the for sale section here came up trumps! thanks Cossington! :D

so this morning i bolted the gear set together, i have found a couple of issues, the main one being that i need a slightly longer b/b as the chain line is slightly out, enough that the crank arm hits the chain in top gear as it comes towards 10 o'clock, the short chainstays don't help with this.

also the brakes are gonna be a nightmare to set up with regards to the cable routing, any ideas? i was thinking of using some nokon type cable to go from in the brake lever into the inside of the bar then out the hole underneath, to do this i may have to drill some bar end caps to make it look neat, i seem to remember there was a specific way to do this though so if someone knows i'd be happy for your insight. :)

also please excuse the pedals/saddle/post in the whole bike shot, they are there just so i could ride it to test the gears, they won't be staying.

when i was in my old shop the other day, Gary the owner asked when it would be finished as Steve whitewick (a former winner of the RAAM team event) wanted to do a 10mile TT on it as a comparison to his Cervelo team bike. Steve's always up for a little fun! :D

anyway, here's the pics :D

Attachments

• cb4.jpg
    cb4.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,306
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,306
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,305
nice looking frame, gotta say that you must have a great back to be able to reach the bars from that high seat position :eek:

i was surprised that when i rode it, all be it only for a few minutes, it felt fine, i thought it would feel really weird and twitchy but it feels quite nice, remember the profile bars are not on there yet (looking for mavic ones) and that will be the main riding position which is higher than the grip position on the bar.

:)

Back