show us your cross bikes

Just to show that I do have a 'cross bike - even if it's not actually used for 'cross - here it is. It's an Evans Pinnacle which makes up into a very nice winter bike with plenty of room for guards (using P-Clips etc.) and fatter tyres. I reckon it's a bit heavy for a 'modern' cross bike but probably a lot lighter than the steel ones I used to ride 'in my prime' (whenever that was :? ). Rides well on the crap surfaces we have in the lanes due to the carbon forks and stays. The canti brakes, once I'd got them set up properly, are good and don't seem to get bunged up with muck as much as dual-pivots.

Mixture of Ultegra and 105 cascaded down from my 'modern' summer bike as I upgraded.

It's not bad as a summer long-ride bike as well with the 'guards off. The triple chainset can be useful at times ;)

Not so retro I suppose but it's a few years old now - but the saddle definitely is (still with it's 'medallion' attached!) and the tape!

Attachments

• Pinnacle Winter2011.2.A.jpg
    Pinnacle Winter2011.2.A.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,814
  • Pinnacle Winter2011.1.A.jpg
    Pinnacle Winter2011.1.A.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,814
I thought id restart this thread, im interested to see what others use/have for there do it all cross inspired bike!

This is my customised Raleigh Pioneer Trail

image.jpg

image2.jpg
[/img]

LeeDevelopment":oxtff33w said:
Here's my bastard child non-drop bar build, Spooky's new 'Supertouch' with added bottle cage mounts:

SpookySupertouch.jpg

This makes me feel a bit better about the straight-bar 531 steel Venom I am building... pics to follow.

I like the look of drops but I think straight bars are more suitable for the type of riding I'll be doing.

David B":y3bx9kh8 said:
Same old Fort frame & Sintema forks with a new paint job and slightly souped-up spec;

6116400741_f7a6a990ce_z_d.jpg

Frame: Fort Foco TIG-welded steel, 56cm

Fork: Sintema "Muddy" 1" threadless, carbon with steel steerer

Headset: Miche Primato 1" threadless with blue SRP titanium top cap
Stem: ITM Eclypse 1" A-Head silver, 12cm
Handlebar: ITM Millennium Ergal, 42cm
Bar Tape: Silva cork

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campag Chorus 10sp (alloy levers) for "Shimergo" set-up
Brake Calipers: Modolo Cantilever - 24 years old and still going strong!
Brake Pads: Aztec BRBX dual compound cartridge, and are actually V-brake pads (highly recommend these pads for 'cross)
Brake Cables: Fibrax

Front Derailleur: Sachs New Success clamp-on, double
Rear Derailleur: Sachs Quarz short cage
Derailleur Cables: Fibrax
Cassette: SRAM PG850 13-26
Chain: Union 810 with Sachs Powerlink
Cranks: Middleburn, 175mm long, 110mm BCD spider, square taper, self-extracting Royce titanium crank bolts
Chainrings: 110 BCD 36 (Stronglight)/46 (TA), silver with blue anodized alloy bolts
Bottom Bracket: Race Face titanium 110mm, English thread
Pedals: Time ATAC XS

Rims: Mach 1 CFX silver, 32h, 700c
Hubs: Hope front, Dura-Ace cassette rear
Hub Skewers: Hope copies, blue
Nipples: Mach 1
Spokes: Mach 1
Tyres: Nokian Ravagozzi 700c x 35
Tubes: Trax self-sealing Presta valve

Saddle: Selle San Marco SKN, titanium rails, Union flag finish
Seatpost: Selcof Mod.31, 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Fort

David

Slightly altered the spec mid-season as it now has blue Ritchey brake pads to match the blue everything else! Not dual compound or owt fancy like that but still seem decent stoppers, think adjusting the canti spring tension over the summer helped.

As for the bike as a whole, it worked well enough to land me the club CX champion's trophy and medal for a second year running. Plus equal 14th placed Senior in the regional (Wessex) league, earning me a certificate and a small (5 or 6 quid) cheque, so far the only money I've ever won in 12 years of competitive riding! Oh, and as far as I can tell this was the only steel bike - using clinchers and not megabucks Dugast/FMB tubs to boot - to trouble the top 20 overall in said league in amongst a sea of identikit alloy and carbon machines from the usual suspects. Which is nice. :)

David

Really have got to gets me a cross bike! Doing some work for Ibis at the mo should have asked them if they had any old steel Hakkalugis kicking about!

milko":3hw91ocd said:
Really have got to gets me a cross bike! Doing some work for Ibis at the mo should have asked them if they had any old steel Hakkalugis kicking about!

Couldn't help but notice you're in my neck of the woods! A CX bike is definitely a good investment, there's some nice peaceful riding to be had on the bridleways once you've headed northwards out of the city centre. Likewise going south around Compton and Oliver's Battery.

David

Conclusion after sifting through the entire thread:

*Steel is good and elegant and The Material

*Singlespeed is elegant

*Carbonfiber and modern bikes with lots of gears and decals is un-elegant

*The simpler the colorscheme the better

*Bikes around 54cm is most harmonic looking

Will contribute with a Miyata TripleCross when it`s done

Back