Claud Butler Dalesman 1981 - after 1 week

olduser1

Dirt Disciple
Just rescued from a garage , one week on.
I 'm seeking other forum members views do I keep to the current spec
or go campag brakes/chain set ?
Please let me have your views on which route to take .

Claud Butler Dalesman spec

Frame: Claud Butler, 531 butted tube fork & stays
Frame No - 4394
Handbuilt by the Holdsworthy company
Frame Size 23.5”:

Handlebar: GB alloy

Brake: Weinmann -centre pull
Vanqueur 610
Holdsworthy 81 stamped on back of brake machanism

Shifters: Suntour
Front Derailleur: Suntour
Rear Derailleur: Campag - dont recognise this type
Cassette: Campag Rexina Extra BX
14t - 28 t

Cranks: 170 mm(SR) alloy
Chainrings: 48 t outer, inner 32t

Rims: Champion Competition - blue sticker
Hubs: Campag
Hub Skewers: Campag
Tyres: 27 x 1

Saddle: Brooks - needs more work
saddle pin -
Bottle Cage:
Extras:, Guard rear rack

Attachments

• DSCF3371.JPG
    DSCF3371.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,663
  • DSCF3377.JPG
    DSCF3377.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,663
  • DSCF3372.JPG
    DSCF3372.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,663
Interesting find :D lots of nice bits :)

Never seen a long cage campag rear mech like that, looks very "tourist" :)

It looks more like 24.5 or 25 inch to me though.

Shaun

I don't think it's particularly fair that your free 1981 Claud Butler has both more sensible gearing AND better tubing AND less patina than my 1981 Claud Butler. I remain happy simply that my rear brake cable routing is superior!

It's a very fine machine though, mine rides beautifully.

If everything works, why change it? however, you may be itching to spend spend spend. There are some nice parts on there and it's probably not worth doing more than greasing all the bearings, changing the brake levers for something more comfortable and getting some nice quality (brooks?) bar tape....
It's the route I'm following.

Nice find.

Rear mech is an early long cage Victory, probably 1984. So most likely a later "upgrade" (it probably had a Suntour to start with, which probably shifted better...). Skewers look like Nuovo Tipo.

Since it probably isn't any specific original spec., I wouldn't be too worried about swapping anything out for something you prefer (or that works better). I think you will struggle to find Campag brake calipers with sufficient reach. A better route might be to go for some modern deep drop dual pivots, like Tektro. Or just keep the centre pulls if they are working OK. Campag chainset would be nice, but they don't come cheap, especially as you'd need a different bottom bracket as well (different taper to the SR).

I agree that it looks like a bigger frame than 23.5".

Nick

Many thanks for your comments, my find was accompanied with a contribution to Oxfam.
The frame does indeed measure 23.5"
Just the same size as I rode 45 years ago a Harry Quinn racer built at Edge lane Liverpool for me.

The bike rides well albeit around the block.
I'll chew over the keep as it is given the cost of the Campag change.

So far have ordered new cables & outer cable covers, handlebar tape.

Can we still buy 27 x 1 tyres ? those on the internet all seem to 27 x 1 1/4

Oh, and I do have some lightly used Conti Ultra Gatorskins 27 x 1 1/4" which are a little fat but ride well (not nearly as beefy as, say, Michelin World Tour). Good puncture resistance and dark brown sidewalls (not as light as trad gumwalls, but better than black).
Nick

Midlife":1w9b2izh said:
Interesting find :D lots of nice bits :)Never seen a long cage campag rear mech like that, looks very "tourist" :)
Shaun

Campagnolo's first dedicated rear long cage"touring"mech was the Rally, based on the Nuovo Record. I believe it was first introduced in 1972.

I have one (version 2), standard fit, on my 1978 Holdsworth Mistral.

I'd keep the Claud Standard.

Roadking.

There's a local bike jumble coming up, so out of curiosity what are the options for Campag components - brakes & touring chainset.

I just need to get this upgrade option out of my system.

Went out again on the Dalesman in the Sun yesterday, just right.

Back