Dawes identification

Samuel_gpz600r

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to the forum as I wanted some help....

I have found an old abandoned Dawes which I have been given permission have.

Just out of curiosity I would like to know what model it is, initially I did think it was lot older but it has a welded steel frame and weinmann bakes which leads me to think it could be relatively new.

on the other hand it is 5 speed with a cottered continental crank and campag non-indexed down-tube shifter.

Could it be that the bike is just a miss match of parts? or was there a Dawes model with these standard

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

Thanks, Sam

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wow, that was quick thanks.

Yes it does say medallion, I thought that was just the better spec of the same model version, I didn't realise it was the actual model.

Thanks for your help.
Sam

Unfortunately the wheels were ok, I got the rear out to clean, it has a few small kinks but I think I could have straightened them, I left the front in there for that night to save space in my room but within a few hours and a kind soul decided to bend it in half for me. How kind! So I have just ebayed some 700c with 6 speed free wheel.

Bloody students? ;)

If the original wheels were 27 x 1 1/4", you might have a bit of a problem with brake reach with the 700c wheels. Looks like you might just have enough reach on the front, but can't see for the back (no brake block). 700c rims are a bit smaller diameter than 27", and if this is 60s, it was almost certainly built for 27". Hopefully it will work out.

I just realised that the frame looks like it is fillet brazed (no lugs) apart from the nice ornate lugs at the front. Fillet brazing was reasonably unusual (though certainly not unheard of) in 60s --- nice.

Good luck with restoring it.

Nick

Ok so have just looked at the frame and noticed there is a number stamped on the rear that reads HS9125 is this the serial number from Dawes? And does anyone know where I can look it up?

Back