Cosmetic Surgery Special Orange C16R Updated 29/12/12

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
First of all I must say a big thankyou to the following without their help, support and guidance this project would not have happened;

Sylus, the EBay outing wizard, for getting me hooked on C16R’s and bringing this one to my attention, cheers mate hope all is going well with the move Stateside, we look forward to your return to the scene.

Fabricoat Powder Coaters and Finishers LTD, for doing me a top job on the Frame, Forks and Stem.

Gil_m for some great decals.

Pauls Cycles Dereham, for helping with the tech knowledge and tools and having a general good chat about bikes.

The Retrobike Community, for helping me along the way with Sales, Karma, and Swaps and also a wealth of knowledge.

And finally my wonderful fiancé, who has been woken on many occasion by the postman dropping of parcels of bike parts and been pretty tolerant with my use of the kitchen sink, hall way and dining room table for my Retrobike work.

Ok onto the bike, Originally ousted by Sylus and deal stuck with the seller brought this sorry looking 1994 C16R home to Norfolkshire. Bottom bracket was fitted wrong way around, frame was chipped, scratched and generally had seen better biking days. Brakes, gears were not working, the only thing that was in good order was the Mavic 121 SUP Rims on Hope Hubs, its with the Wheels that the project started.

Ok, I must make this clear, it was never going to be a full 100% Resto to how it was back in 1994/5, what I wanted to do is breath some fresh air into the bike, give it a new lease of life, carry out some transplant surgery for a newer, fresher feel, a little cosmetic surgery, lift here, and a tuck there, you get the picture.

And it was with that the build started from the wheels up, Alternating Red / Blue spoke nipples was the colour match the rest just fitted into place. The spec is as follows;

Wheels – Mavic 121SUP Rims, Blue/Red Spoke Nipples with HOPE Hubs. Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 Tyres

Frame 1994 C16R with F7 Forks, Stripped, Powder coated in a Grey/Silver Mettalic. Decals from Gil_m.

Orange ‘Stalk’ Stem, powder coated same as frame & forks, Decals again from Gil_m.

Front & Rear Mech Shimano XT739, Crankset Shimano M400 with Blue & Red Middleburn Rings.

Brakes CNC Anodised Blue Cantis with Onza Chill Pill’s Shimano Levers, Orange Friction Addiction Grips.

Orange Hot Rod bars, USE Seat post with WTB Saddle (Temp until better saddle is found)

3 x 7 Shimano XT Thumbies

HOPE Red Anodised Skewers, Wellgo platform pedals, Blue Bullet Anodised Valve Caps.

I will let the pics do the talking, but wanted to finish with an analogy like from small acorns mighty oaks grow, of from an ugly duckling to a great swan, but sadly couldn’t think of one, anyway enjoy the pics,

Jussa :)

Attachments

• C16RestoGold1.JPG
    C16RestoGold1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,364
  • C16RReborn6.JPG
    C16RReborn6.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 2,364
  • C16RReborn5.JPG
    C16RReborn5.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 2,364
  • C16RReborn4.JPG
    C16RReborn4.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 2,364
More pics :)

Attachments

• C16RReborn3.JPG
    C16RReborn3.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 2,359
  • C16RReborn2.JPG
    C16RReborn2.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,359
  • C16RReborn1.JPG
    C16RReborn1.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 2,359
Re: C16R

MRGRUMPY":20jx5j7t said:
Looking good bud,glad to be of help. :D :D

Pennies just dropped, read your post about the PACE Crud Guard and then it suddenly dawned on me lol, cheers for your help, as you can see it all came together, even if i was working long into Friday night to get it ready for the weekend. :)

Jamis Diablo":9c584ssf said:
Lovely bike, but I don't like the Pana's.
If you want redwalls, IRC Mythos would look very nice on this.

Jury is still out on the tyres, maybe your right, Doh, now i wish i hadnt parted with a pair of IRC's last year........

Back