ebay Jeff jones

If this is the one off MTBR forum then the guy wants $10,000 for it! For a bike with no gears and 29" wheels (two fads and fashions for the price of one ;) )...fair enough, it was built by a hippy with a beard who lives in a cave who can only be bothered to make a couple of bikes a year and so has a wait list as long as your arm, but 10 grand, hmmmm

He says waiting list is 10 years .

10 grand is a lot of money , but pretty sure he will get it .

I'm not sure he'll get it - you've really got to stand back and ask yourself whether you'd be willing to drop $10k on a used bike built for someone else. If the answer is yes, may I suggest a more expensive hobby. Jeff dropped a mail to everyone on his waiting list a fortnight ago informing them that he was building nine replicas of his current bike - that must have reduced the waiting list at a stroke.

It's also not ten years - Jeff estimates it at a couple (read 3-4) years, but that's based on everyone on it ordering a bike - some of them will have lost interest, have found another dream bike, or won't be able to come up with the cash.

I really like the theory of his bikes - no shocks, no pivots, nothing to corrode, rust or fatigue, yet with a fair bit of 'give'. However, even if I had $10k spare I wouldn't spend it on someone else's bike, when the personal touch is one of Jeffs key selling points.

Finally, I have a suspicion that the reserve is lower than $10k - the guy got in when a 3D spaceframe was about $3500 (back in the days when Jeff actually had prices on the website), and when I mailed him to chat about his MTBR.com ad, he stated that he 'didn't want to sell that way' because it was generating lots of interest in the auction. I'll bet someone will hit $6k and suddenly find himself meeting the reserve.

It comes with 170mm cranks to stop grounding... I see Simon had a cheeky bid on it! I also suspect it would go for about 6 or 7, though no one has bid for a day now and its stuck at 4... I think it said reserve price lowered one day too so he is obvisouly not confident of getting the full 10G! Simon - what did you mean about replicas of his bikes? Just that he doesn't have to do the design work for a totally unique frame and so can build them faster using the same style of frame but a few different sizes?

ian

Latest posts

Back