1991 Rocky Mountain Experience

Go to paypal, and you can export a full list of the transactions since you started retrobike.
Remove what is not retrobike.

Add it up.

Keep the list away from the other half!

(and that doesn't even include none paypal things)

Ok. I was rushing to get this bike done so I could enter it into BOTM. I've changed my mind on that - because it's so close to being original spec I am going to try my best to get it 100% right, rather than just nearly there.

Soooooo, I've ordered some NOS Shimano Deore DX hubs for it, and when funds allow I'll get some NOS Araya RM20's to build onto them. I've got a lead on a 30.4mm Syncros post too.

If I do all that then it'll be perfect and look stunning.

In the meantime I've bobbed some DX thumbies on it for the Lakes ride, along with my favourite SLR plus XT brake levers, plus a Flite for comfort.

So you'll only see it complete at the Lakes ride, not gonna show it off otherwise until its PROPERLY completed.

Just had a quick spin round the block as its ready to ride for this weekend.

I am a bit worried about the low front end - I have a bad neck - but hopefully it should be ok.

A few detail pics:

Front brake, Triple S coated forks, XT headset and Gil decals:

8d26cb88.jpg

Shiny newly painted stem and polished top cap. Yum.

d9333613.jpg

Girvin Rock Ring, fitted as standard to this model:

331ae67f.jpg

captaincosmic":3hmmytpg said:
Looking forward to seeing this at the weekend you old fart "bad neck" :LOL:

I'm only 35!! Seriously though - it was an industrial accident. I wish I had sued now. :-/

Looking forward to it - I chatted to the B&B lady and she said it had been biblical rain today. Eeeeeek. :cry: :shock:

Well the whole original spec thing has gone out the window and I decided to just ride the thing.... :D ;)

Me at the Lakes National ride:

2b0defd9.jpg

It was very good on the technical sections - I only had one pedal strike on the whole ride because of the high BB, it was amazing threading my way through rocky sections without a worry.

e4ceff6e.jpg

So despite all the NOS stuff on it I rode it to the top of a big hill.. :D

5cad2f0d.jpg

0d40fb9e.jpg

Uphill it was absolutely brilliant, even out of the saddle with my weight forward I barely got wheelspin even on loose rocky sections. It was unreal.

Downhill it was a bit different, I did feel like I was perched on top of the bike and it felt a little unstable. The steering was perfect though, even with the rigid forks. However the brakes were beyond cack. Really bad, the bike could go faster than the brakes would stop me so something is going to have to change.

I am thinking that a nice set of red Maguras would be well in keeping with the intended design of the frame and provide a nice sharp response....

I am also thinking that some 60mm travel suspension forks would make it even more capable - I'm not saying it needs it, more like it is so capable it would open up more of its potential with a bit of bounce up front. Marzocchi would be the only option for me as they actually work......

d4a3f94a.jpg

Marz would spoil it.
And the bike is not adjusted to any suspension so 60mm will be long.
When I used 60mm JUDY it rode ok, but the front just felt a bit wrong. Back to 40mm travel MAG's and it was spot on again.

Build another bike or get used to riding retro.
Get some decent brake blocks would be my first choice and play around setting the canti's up.

Back