Centrelock issues

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
I have never had any disc system, so I know nothing about them. However I need a front disc setup so I have invested £7.31 posted in a NOS XT HB-M765 hub. My reasoning was (a) it was cheap, (b) I can build a wheel with standard retro-length spokes that I have in stock, rather than have to buy in short ones for a six-bolt hub.

I am assuming that I'm limited to a Shimano rotor, which should come with a lock ring and I can fix the lock ring with a cassette removal tool, also that a 160mm rotor is enough for a ten stone rider, but if I'm wrong I'd be grateful to know.

Questions though:

a. is the suspiciously low price for the hub down to centrelock having a bad reputation, like say developing play or working loose?

b. am I limited to using a Shimano brake, or are there any compatibility issues with say a Hope Mini?

The only hub I have with centrelock is a Shimano Alfine - everything else I have is 6 bolt, however, a friend of mine has centrelock hubs/rotors on all his bikes and I've never seen any problems with those or heard him mention anything that's an issue.

If you use a centrelock to six bolt adaptor you can use any rotors/calipers that you want. Likethis or this.
I'm using a Hope 160mm floating rotor on the Alfine hub with a DT Swiss adaptor and Magura Marta calipers. Mix and match......

If you use a Shimano centrelock rotor then I suppose that you could use any caliper that you want, provided that the braking track on the disc is wide enough to cover the size of the pad - I believe that Shimano are narrower than some. Shimano brakes get good reviews though and, like Magura, use mineral oil.

Anthony - I've just checked and I tell a lie :oops:, it's the Superstar adaptor that I'm using on the Alfine hub, not the DT Swiss. I have both and the DT Swiss wouldn't fit with the floating rotors, although it was fine with the Magura wavy rotors.

You might want to check with that Shimano hub that the cones aren't over-tight from the factory and that there's adequate grease in there - I've seen some that were well over adjusted and that only seemed to have had a smell of the grease :roll: .
Other than that it should be fine.....

Centrelock is a fine little system.

As long as you remember to grease the splines when fitting the rotors/adapter you'll be fine. Forget to do so and some combinations may sit a little loose and cause eardrum-crushing resonance.

I've used the shimano centerlock system on all my bikes with disc brakes & a lot easier to work with than 6 bolt IMO, never had any problems with them myself - I'm 13.5st & use 180mm front / 160mm rear so you should be fine with 160mm up front subject to what riding you are doing.

Yes, should have said - I'm slightly heavier than I'd like to be 70kgs (right on 11stone) and I have 180/160 on one of my bikes and 160/160 on the other.
Either one is fine for me but the 180mm is slightly nicer on long descents, especially slow technical ones - the modulation is just that bit nicer.
That's with the same calipers, rotors (apart from size) and pads, so all that's left is that you need a little less pressure for the same retardation.

Same here, I use centerlock hubs on one of my bikes and am really pleased with them.
Under hard braking I can hear cracking noises coming from somewhere around there, but I'm pretty sure it's the spokes that are struggling with the fight between my 180mm discs and my 210lbs (with full gear).
I guess they'll lose eventually.

My bike came with 6-bolt Formula discs and a Formula centerlock to 6-bolt adapter, and you'd never have guessed that they were using such an adapter.
In fact even I thought that the formula discs were centerlock ones, so when I purchased my 6-bolt Hope discs I also ordered a set of Shimano adapters. :facepalm:
Imagine my surprise when I took out the original discs and found that the Hope ones slotted right in.
Then imagine what I said when I found out that I bought £35 worth of parts that I'll never use. :roll:

I serviced a bike last week with a 'knock' at the front end.

Play in the headset? Nope.

Suspension fork bushes buggered? Nope.

**Scratches head**

Disc caliper bolts loose? Nope.

**has a cup of tea**

Shimano Centrelock rotors, play between rotor and 'spider' where the rivets have worn? That'll be it then!

Rubbish.

I run 160mm rotors on the front of two bikes. They are fine in stopping e and I weight considerably more than you ;)

The only centrelock I have is my Alfine. I bought a XTR rotor ages ago for peanuts so it has worked well for me.

I think the principle is better than six bolt but the rotors are generally more expensive.

DT swiss and shimano use this system - i have it and it works fine. it is possible to buy adapter to fit 6 bolt discs.

Back