British Steel

I hope you dont mind my romanced view on the story :oops: , but given the frames you have, in such great condition, i just wanted to add my thoughts on the significance of them....., they are stunning.

sorry for the quality of the pics, but they were all i had or could find, (i will have a good look for mag reviews for you though.)

Dave Lloyd didnt stop there though, he also gave us the Beez Kneez, and Chas Roberts pushed onward and upward with the White Spider Ultralight..., a super light race frame.

They are both awesome,always makes me wonder why somebody would buy something like that and treat them so badly and let them rot. :( :(

Our very own team MBUK riders Sally Hibberd and Dave Hemmings, both riding classic British Steel.

Take a close look at the fork Dave H is using..., swopped out for the Bontrager composite fork, a Pace suspension fork, with what appears to be aluminium legs, not carbon... :shock:

Attachments

• Dave Hemming Team MBUK, riding his White Spider..jpg
    Dave Hemming Team MBUK, riding his White Spider..jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 3,944
  • Sally Hibberd Team MBUK...riding her Zinn Z-753.jpg
    Sally Hibberd Team MBUK...riding her Zinn Z-753.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 3,946
I was thinking I would be getting something Canadian and steel next but to be honest I'm very patriotic - these bikes have changed my mind!! Love to get myself a Dave Lloyd next.

My LBS BITD was a dealer for them as the owner knew Dave from his roadie background - he always had 2 or 3 in the shop almost always equipped with Campag groups (all MTB's as well).

Does anyone remember Dave Lloyd making a bike called the Bees Knees? I know he did the Donkis Nob but my local shop had a Bees Knees which was painted in a fantastic yellow and black striped finish, in a similar fashion to that road frame on the first page of this thread. IIRC it was a slightly cheaper version of the DN (maybe non-custom?) but it looked awesome!

Carl......thankfully we have you involved with our site!...longlive the good old fashioned geek!..... ;)

Stands proudly for national anthem..... :D

feetabix":2etyh494 said:
Carl......thankfully we have you involved with our site!...longlive the good old fashioned geek!..... ;)

Stands proudly for national anthem..... :D

[stands up]

Onr of my favourite moments in life came a couple of years ago. I was on a trip with my church to visit another one in Germany. We did a sports day thing and had to catch a bus to the other side of this German town. The 1 American chap in our group very proudly sang his national anthem, on his own, and got a big cheer (we filled a whole bendy bus!). Then we sang God Save The Queen, about 50 of us Brits as the bus was going down the high street. Flippin Ace!!

Anyway, back to the bikes....

[/sits down]

Here are Two of my British bikes finished 2011.

Both equipped with M900 XTR, both british brands, although one made in England, and one made overseas and painted and assembled here in the U.K.

My Dave Yates isnt as prestige a tubeset as the Dave Yates D.O.N.K.I.S N.O.B, and in my world this makes the frame you have the flagship model for this brand.

The Dave Yates Diablo was the lower model, and still used the fastback seatstay arrangement, and a project two fork, much in the same way as Roberts "Bottom Line". and frames from many other Uk builders, trying to compete with prices of Imported Models, whilst still remaining Handbuilt in the U.k.

Attachments

• Dave Yates Diablo (Coloumbus Cromor OR) and Orange Prestige (Tange Prestige).jpg
    Dave Yates Diablo (Coloumbus Cromor OR) and Orange Prestige (Tange Prestige).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 2,933
  • Roberts....jpg
    Roberts....jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,934
MikeD":3svce8av said:
a Pace suspension fork, with what appears to be aluminium legs, not carbon..

That's a very early prototype :)

I thought the same Mike, but hesitated in using the word "prototype" just in case i got hammered for it.

Very cool though... :cool:

Rob Atkin":i4ny5psr said:
I was thinking I would be getting something Canadian and steel next but to be honest I'm very patriotic - these bikes have changed my mind!! Love to get myself a Dave Lloyd next.

My LBS BITD was a dealer for them as the owner knew Dave from his roadie background - he always had 2 or 3 in the shop almost always equipped with Campag groups (all MTB's as well).

Does anyone remember Dave Lloyd making a bike called the Bees Knees? I know he did the Donkis Nob but my local shop had a Bees Knees which was painted in a fantastic yellow and black striped finish, in a similar fashion to that road frame on the first page of this thread. IIRC it was a slightly cheaper version of the DN (maybe non-custom?) but it looked awesome!

Rule Britannia.....

here is the Dave Lloyd Beez Neez for you...,

Attachments

• dave lloyd beez neez.....jpg
    dave lloyd beez neez.....jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,910
Back