199? Marin Palisades

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
We bought this for my OH, as she still misses her 1991 Bear Valley. It was found on fleabay for £22, plus another £15 for postage, so a bargain I'd say.

It's all there, used, but serviceable, and No1 son offered to refurb it for his mum's Christmas present. As we are approaching the end of February, and the project has been 'stalled' for three months, I am going to complete it.

One or two minor updates will be added, but the owner has requested that it remain pretty much period (bless her), which is possibly why No1 son has lost interest, as he was planning on a mega update.

The only puzzle is the exact year of manufacture and the slightly unusual back brake caliper. Any info would be welcomed.

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

That I do believe is a rear U brake :cool:

Would put it late 80s very early 90s I'd guess (no knowledge of Marin used there at all)

We figured 90 /91, but we can't find any photo's to confirm.

My son wanted to ditch the original brakes, but the bosses for the back brake are specific to the U brake, so, original it is then!

1990 model year was paler grey, so....

It's a 1991 with the dark Zolatone paint, and I believe only the very small size you have came with the U-brake, and from (hazy) memory it was something to do with poor fitment/performance of a rear canti... :?

Yes it is a small frame, as the OH is only a little lady, so that would seem to be spot on.

Thanks very much.

I'll post some more pics later, when the rebuild is finished.

GT-Steve":3vurs6p8 said:
1990 model year was paler grey, so....

It's a 1991 with the dark Zolatone paint, and I believe only the very small size you have came with the U-brake, and from (hazy) memory it was something to do with poor fitment/performance of a rear canti... :?

Agree with '91 - darker zolatone paint......didn't realise about the U-brake though........what size frame is that?

id say its a 15.5 i had a 1991 bearvalley with the U brake. it was to give clearance when pedaling as they cantis werent low profile then and there wasnt much clearance as your heal passed the brakes when pedaling.

Steve is absolutely right about the U-Brake being there because of the small sized frame.
But in my opinion this bike is a 1989 Palisade because of the thin seat stays and the rear drop outs which are the pre "Afterburner Design".
Other things to mention:
The decal design that reads: "Designed and race proven in Marin County California" was square shaped from 1990 onwards up to my knowledge. This bike has the 80ties kind of star shaped decal design.
The decal colour on the downtube was yellow in 1991. Lookwise yours is white.
Of course all these decals could lie but seat stays don't.
The only reason i could think of why there are 1989 seat stays on a 1991 bike could be the small frame size again.
I think Gil_M and WD Pro are the guys that could shed some light on this one for sure.
I say 1989. Proof me wrong. :)

Well, all I can say is that I hope she likes it when I've finished.

I have just spent two hours cleaning up the wheels and repacking the bearings. Next up...headstock bearings...ohhh joy!

My very first "proper" mountainbike :cool:
Was admittedly nicked off a mate who couldnt ride it for 8 months after he bust his leg, but was looked after and ridden more then, than at any other time in its like.... seem to recall it then sat outside in his yard and rotted after he demanded it back when the cast came off :cry:

G

Back