KONA (again!) different years - different rides

deelam

Retro Guru
I went out for a 1st ride on my 96 Kilauea (fully original too :D ) on Sunday.
What a difference from my 93 Kilauea!
The 93 feels really stretched out and "racey" just like I remember my old cindercone when I was 15, but the 96 feels shorter and less twitchy.
It still has all the stiffness around the rear end which I love about Konas (Konai?!) but it just felt easier somehow.
The XC700s worked really well once set up - I've never been a suspension fan, but I am getting converted!
I now have to part with my 93 and to be honest I am going to miss it.
Still, there's always Adam's Hot on ebay!

Kona-lovers: what's your preference for year and model in terms of "feel"?

Kona.dk shows the 96 Kilauea as a waif-like 22.8lb, lighter than any other steel in the range. What's the story with the Columbus Cyber tubes? Any good? Certainly feels good, maybe a bit flexier than Tange.

I'm building a '98 Kilauea (Reynolds 631 tube set) at the moment. Don't know how they ride compared to your '96 though.

I've also got a single speed with what I think is a Columbus tube set the same as the 95 & 96 Explosif. Now that ride a treat!

97 Explosif with double ovalised tubing was SUPERB

Cant wait for my 97 853 Hot.

The 1988 Explosif I had rode like a oig in comparison! It would be so easy to say "ohh,it was sublime, what a classic" but jumping between such different geomerties and weights was certainly noticable!

Latest posts

Back