British Steel

Russell":2qdsruuf said:
Well, strictly speaking if its the Queen you're celebrating, you should be buying German :)

Tyres - am I right in thinking that's all the components that are made there? Seems strange seeing as they have some excellent engineering companies - anyone know of anything else?

FluffyChicken":2qdsruuf said:
If it's to celebrate the Queen then you should build from the Empire, not Europe (who they only really had wars with))

India, Hong Kong, Canada and Malaysia and Eastern USA should see fit for most of it ;)

Great idea - trouble is the only bit of empire left is the Falkland Islands not much of a bike industry there and if the Argies or that idiot Sean Penn have to do with it we won't have them for much longer!!

Maybe I should try a 'Commonwealth' build?

The classic Lloyd paint job:

P1020076.JPG

nevadasmith":35rjjytk said:
I'd love to have got that for 200 quid! Anyone on here BTW?

Ditto, I didn't have the spare money when it was for sale, then once I had the ££ it was gone! C'est la vie.

DSC00151.JPG

Love's neon dream.

ive never ridden/owned a lloyd but i have experience with the yates......

P1020415.jpg

a really honest, and capable steed....you will love it!.... :D

Not quite in the same realm as the above, but at least it is actually handmade in GB :cool:

P1040226.jpg

AND I've just shelled out a bargain £60 for a NOS RockShox Pro Deluxe shock for it, which has now totally cleaned me out for the next couple of months! :?

Luckily I have nearly everything I need for the build, including a Judy SL for which I have a spring conversion and a rattlecan of orange paint... :cool:

That Diablo hurts my eyes! Is it built up or in progress?

Feetabix - thanks for posting - I have admired your NOB for a while - maybe we can get our NOBS out with Daj's BOLLOX on a West Mids ride this year?

Stevo - that is tidy - the suspension looks sorted and like it works well too - looking forward to the finished bike!

Feetabix - thanks for posting - I have admired your NOB for a while - maybe we can get our NOBS out with Daj's BOLLOX on a West Mids ride this year?

:LOL: .....childish and predictable.....but still irresistably funny!.... :LOL:

It all started a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.....(star wars emotion needed...lol)

With these three, very important bikes....(imho).

Apologise for the terrible Dave Lloyd E-Stay pic, as you can imagine a very rare sight.... :cool:

Attachments

• The.... Dave Lloyd E-stay.jpg
    The.... Dave Lloyd E-stay.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,844
  • overburys estay.jpg
    overburys estay.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,844
  • a_very_significant_model_724.jpg
    a_very_significant_model_724.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 3,844
The race was on.

Every one searching for the perfect solution, brake placement, chainstay lengths, mud clearances, strength, weight....etc etc.

Some british frame builders under pressure from magazines, gave us E-stays....,

but when design solutions to problems get found, the stakes get increased a little.....

with improvements in dedicated Steel tubesets for mountain bikes now availiable........some up"d there game....!!!

In a market massively dominated by American and far east imports, our English Frame Builders, stepped into a fierce market, and gave us something very very special...!!!

Chas Roberts had shown us how good his skills were and given his Contribution, enabling us massive successes with the likes of Dave Baker and Tim Gould, (to name a few). With the White Spider.

But this was new......, and the next step, (in my eyes anyway).

He gave us the D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X....

In a World Wide Search for the best way to build a Steel Frame (weight/strength/handling), our americans gave us massive quailty and cool with frames like the Bontrager OR and the Salsa Ala Carte............ :cool:

Chas Roberts for me (and i suspect many) built what the "Press" reported to be the Ultimate steel frame (of its time).

He took highend tubes from Reynolds/columbus etc, and mixed them to gain the best results, for his frame design.

example..
Ultra stiff Columbus Max main frame.
Composite rear stays--
---Extra stiff 4130 horseshoe to minimize brake flex
---Silver soldered Reynolds 753 stays
---Columbus SL monostay
---Massive clearances to eliminate mud build up

The name D.O.G. B.O.L.O.X , was a carefully used acronym.....which playfully stood for..........

Dirt Orientated Geometry System Bidirectional Ovalised Lateral Xtra.

With Massive articles in mags with Bold statements such as the "Ultimate steel" being printed, obviously our other favorite builders had to up there game too...

And they Gave us......

Dave Lloyd C.A.T.S W.I.S.K.A.S........

Cycle All Terrain Systems With Integral Suspension Keeping Alignment Static

and.....

the the Dave Yates D.O.N.K.I.S N.O.B name, an acronym for......

Daves Overactive No Kompromise Independant Suspension, Never Otherwise Beaten

All three frame Builders, used different tubes in different places on the frame, tweeked, and fettled in a quest to build the best performance into there frames, and in a typically british humour kinda way, show it in the names of there bikes.....lol.

I believe the Yates is Coloumbus Max OR and Reynolds 753, and the Lloyd to be a mix of Reynolds 753 and 653.

All stunning......, and for our histories sake worth every penny you can muster spending on them imho.

Attachments

• dave_yates_donkis_knob_bike95_170.jpg
    dave_yates_donkis_knob_bike95_170.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 3,826
  • DaveLloyd_Hope_1.jpg
    DaveLloyd_Hope_1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,826
  • chas roberts dogs bolox.jpg
    chas roberts dogs bolox.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 3,826
Back