1997 Proflex 957 resto/build thread - FINISHED! wooo

Well, after some serious headset faffing about (I still think there is a tiny bit of play in the one I got off this forum, but shall see how it plays out) I have the bike in a state where well... it kind of looks like a bike. Refurbed shocker fitted and now front headset area sorted out. Tomorrow I shall see about perhaps getting some gears, brakes working, etc. :)

LOOKS LIKE A BIKE! lol

DSC_0310.jpg

Well, this evening I managed to fit and cable up my CORRECT :D front mech and was able to actually ride the bike a bit up and down the street. It sure felt weird to be back on full suspension again - almost to the point of feeling unsafe.

Also this evening I fitted new brake pads all round - The ones on there were probably the originals knowing me, and the screws, etc were all rusty. New ones I've had in a packet for a while had new everything.

Also, thanks to a video on this forum, or a link from it, I managed to correctly setup the V-brakes and they feel pretty good now, even with new pads! :cool:

Sadly the cable started fraying for my rear mech so had to abort cabling up the rear gears, but I still rode it a small way in "8th" gear, to test the brakes and the front mech's movement.

The one thing I have noticed, and I recall from the last time this bike was roadworthy, was a quite horrid creaking noise from (what I am 99% sure) is the suspension fork/s leg/s under very heavy front end braking. Can see in the long run maybe having to change the Pace' for something else. :( (maybe a switch back to Girvin Vectors?)

No pics from tonight though. Left my phone in my bedroom, but it looks the same as the last pic, only it now has a front mech, a (new) chain, and some grips on the handlebars.

Well, it's finished (pretty much) - Just the rear gears to sort out after the local BS looks to have not got them right....

Here's some pics. Would welcome any change recommendations going forward (anyone else thinking "black bottle cage"?). I am going to be refurbing/repainting the pedals soon, so might go black with those? I do like the red though.....

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

Anyone else think painting the club roost bar black would be a bit much? Need something to break up the black a bit I think. It's why I took the opportunity to get that saddle (although it was free which was a bonus :D)

nice! The red pedals have to go tho' - never have liked flats like these on a cross country bike. And yes - service the pace fork - its a bit of serious history.

Well, the bike is still going kind of.... Used it on Dartmoor when some colleagues and I took part in a Corporate Challenge raising funds for Childrens Hospice SW. :) Note I fitted normal flat pedals for this...

DSC_0360.jpg

Then on a ride soon after I managed to snap a link on the front derailleur so that effectively put the bike in the shed for the winter. Now ordered a replacement mech (brand new this time....) so hope to be up & running a.s.a.p.

Have joined local gym so on a bit of a fitness improvement plan at the moment.

Came from gil_m (or name something like that) on here. Good value for full set and premium quality. About to use him for a set of Marin IFT ones for my Dad's 1995 classic.

Looks great!! I got a thing for pro flex, they always appear to me like big sturdy machines. I've only ridden one for a couple of days, "Animal", and i sure enjoyed!! Still if you dont get me wrong, I would look much better with the original fork. Paces are lovely though.

Back