Reckless drivers!

stevek

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just saw this over on STW.... nasty!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/r ... &t=2445974

Got me thinking yet again how drivers don't seem to understand how easy it is to completely wipe out a cyclist from existence.

It was only a few weeks ago when I was rounding a corner on a quiet country road when a truck full of timber drove what seemed to be right at me, I ran onto the verge but still had to duck as the truck had those large oblong mirrors that stick out! If I hadn't he would have taken my bloody head off! Shouts of w@nker! at him didn't make him stop and confront me either! Probably oblivious to it all...

Went out yesterday and there's one section of busy road that unfortunately can't be avoided, it's only half a mile but I swear some vehicles try to get as close as possible just to put the wind up you, they don't seem to realise that they could kill you. I mean, what's the problem? Jeez! Is it gonna put a few seconds on to their journey if they slow down for a hundred yards? Big deal! sat in their comfy seats operating a foot pedal and moving a gear-stick is so hard isn't it?

Arrggh! :evil:

Sorry for the rant but this really makes me mad.

Attachments

• Smash (Medium).jpg
    Smash (Medium).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,147
in regards to the mirrors , i work for sainsburys and all of the wagon were fitted with those mirror extensions , below the normal ones

now they are all having to be removed due to the fact they are exactly the right height to take a cyclists head OFF :roll:

what makes me wonder is , what the f--k do they think is going to happen if they hit you

it won`t be untill they stand there over a mangled body , some of these thick f---s will realise

and no i dont drive so thats why it winds me up :twisted:

Agreed Slim, they don't seem to be able to understand the consequences of their actions.

I can imagine them in their buses/trucks/cars.. "harharhar, see how close I got to that cyclist then? Really made him jump didn't I?" Yeah, maybe next time he'll swerve because of the danger/shock and end up under the wheels of that juggernaut that's coming up behind him.

You can see them looking back at you in their rearview mirror, or if they have passengers they're laughing with each other whilst the passenger's looking back at you.

To$$ers!

I was riding along a road with a friend some years ago, and a white van virtually side-swiped him, hitting the rucksack on his back. How amused we were when the heavy D-lock in the bag made contact with the wing mirror and smashed it to pieces!

There are numerous stupid drivers out there. On the other hand, there are numerous stupid cyclists. However, the two do not cancel one another out - the reality is that in a collision between a bike and a car, the cyclist will come off worst. Drivers therefore need to be more considerate. Mind you, it does help carrying something heavy or sharp to damage their precious tin box with when they get too close. I was walking across a zebra crossing at the weekend when a dizzy cow drove straight across it. Smacking the rear of her car with the shopping bag containing a six-pack soon brought her to her senses.

I find best way is to try and match speed of traffic and not ride too close to pavement. Then becomes a proper move to pass rather than a brush past.
Obviously get right out of way if at all possible though.

Yeah, that's fair enough gump but I'm on about the open road, the road I was talking about is a 50 mph limit and it's fairly flat and even, I manage about 20-25 mph on the mtb depending on the wind.

You can ride like you've mentioned in towns/urban areas though.

yeah, fair point stevek thats what I was thinking. I ride a bit of both on my commute, so get the best/worst of it. As you say, sometimes there is nothing you can do. Especially when some dilbert comes tanking round a bend in the middle of the road just as you are drifting wide :shock:

I've had such bad experiences on the roads (I'm an advanced driver too ;)) that I simply try to avoid road riding as much as possible. Country lanes are particularly bad just due to the fact that so few motorists can take a corner properly and end up either hedge-hugging or crossing middle lines.
One more reason why I think roadies are such a peculiar breed!

I appreciate that many on here ride a daily hack to and from work. The only real answer is more dedicated cycle lanes I guess.

Interesting thread this is though - completely reinforces exactly why I love getting off-road! "Mountain" Bikes! Away from the roads and the traffic.

The thing that surprises me everytime i walk to work (in the city) is that there aren't more colisions between pedestrians and cyclists.. Walkers just step off curbs and into traffic jams etc without looking to see if there''s a cyclist coming up the inside or outside .. I've only witnessed two coming togethers and both times a herd of pedestrians rounded on the cyclist which was a joke because on both occassions the pedestrian was completely in the wrong, and also on both occassions the cyclist had tried to take evasive action. As a keen rider i obviously do my green cross code before ever crossing a road but it amazes me the actions of some people ..

Back