Shepard's Pie - Tips, Suggestions & Proselytizing

Ah yeah worcestershire sauce works well!

I thought everybody fluffed up the mash and then grilled it!? Huh!

if using mince ( beef or lamb ) , cook it first on high heat to get water , fat and other crap out of it .

then in a separate pan brown some onion , celery and carrots , after a few minutes add the mince meat . season with salt and pepper .

for a creamy mash , boil the potatoes in milk and mash them .

highlandsflyer":1iixzp6c said:
Do yourself a favour and chuck an egg or two into yer tatties as you mash it up.

Learnt this from my mum but the mrs doesnt like me doing it as its just so damn filling!

May try boiling in buttery milk next time.

My mother was a cruel woman, she made me think Shepherd's Pie was made from beef until i was in my mid-teens, oh the shame :oops:

Fry the lamb until slightly browned and then drain away all the liquid, then add diced carrot, chopped onion or celery, mixed herbs, salt & pepper and worcestershire sauce to taste add a tablespoon of tomato puree and enough lamb stock to cover the meat. Stir and heat briskly until the liquid evaporates and it all thickens up and then spoon into a pie dish.

Add creamy mash potato (mustard mash for me) and fork a pattern - furrows or peaks are the ones i use and then cook at the top of a hot oven until golden brown. Grated cheese is optional

The best variation i've tried is to add baked beans rather than tomato puree and a little less stock.

highlandsflyer":2nkc05fg said:
We always leave the skins on. My grampa was the world's leading expert on potatoes at one time, and ingrained the idea that discarding the skin was criminal. Then again, he took lots of LSD too.

Shepherds in the past here used to take rabbits, deer, geese and the like that were after the wabbits grass. That was what ended up in their pies.

i like the sound of your grampa, :D

Back