Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ 25/02/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kawasaki party will now be three - Kean, the Wizard of Oz, is coming up from London especially for this... Sadly he's threatening to ride a Klein Mantra with discs...

mrkawasaki":5d01njki said:
Big Goldsworthy fan - so looking forward even more to this!

Its an old sheepfold called Touchstone Fold. I've been past it in the other direction several times and never spotted it. Its a fair climb up to Tilberthwaite so I was going pretty slowly :LOL:

FluffyChicken":3v29cexy said:
videojetman":3v29cexy said:
is there plenty of parking around this area. looks like a day trip for me.

Not so much at the end (and pay/display iirc). But there are places around and cyclepaths/beach to the start point. One being on the start of the road to the east side of the lake. Not sure of winter prices but sometimes it's free.
Also there is the main central Coniston carpark. No idea of prices and road side parking of course.
Quick cycle and flat to the start.

2/3/1 on this map in the order I mention them.

1 = main central carpark
2 = start

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/coniston/

The best place to park is the at the car park on Lake Road, ie where the ride starts and finishes.
There is the Cafe and some public toilets which are clean and large enough to get changed in should you wish.

There's a Google street view link here, should you want to have a virtual look around. Not sure on parking charges, but there is some free parking on the road itself.

It's almost as though we've thought about where to start in advance...

mrkawasaki":1d7tf50i said:

I prefer the work of Richard Long and Hamish Fulton myself. We will of course stop and look at the sheepfold too though.

Grizedale forest is also full of site specific sculptures too which I'll try and point out as we go around.

Harbour.jpg

drystonepaul":3bjpqrqx said:
FluffyChicken":3bjpqrqx said:
videojetman":3bjpqrqx said:
is there plenty of parking around this area. looks like a day trip for me.

Not so much at the end (and pay/display iirc). But there are places around and cyclepaths/beach to the start point. One being on the start of the road to the east side of the lake. Not sure of winter prices but sometimes it's free.
Also there is the main central Coniston carpark. No idea of prices and road side parking of course.
Quick cycle and flat to the start.

2/3/1 on this map in the order I mention them.

1 = main central carpark
2 = start

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/coniston/

The best place to park is the at the car park on Lake Road, ie where the ride starts and finishes.
There is the Cafe and some public toilets which are clean and large enough to get changed in should you wish.

There's a Google street view link here, should you want to have a virtual look around. Not sure on parking charges, but there is some free parking on the road itself.

It's almost as though we've thought about where to start in advance...

The car park over the wall is #2 in the link above. I think that picture is before the refurb after the floods. (was being done last summer)

Car park in that walled bit with toilets is
Type: Pay and Display, Not covered
Payments accepted: Coins, Notes, Cards, Pay-by-mobile
Pay-by-mobile: PayByPhone/Verrus users can pay by calling 01539 231 231 (location id 7254)
Height restrictions: None
(free outside these hours)
Mon-Sun 8:00-20:00
£3.00 / 2 hours
£5.00 / 4 hours
£7.00 / 12 hours
£28.00 / week
£175.00 / year
Last updated: Jul 2011

But someone will know if there are seasons and this years prices.
The part this side of the wall, iirc is/was free. Though in summer filled up very quickly

drystonepaul":3nznctfm said:
mrkawasaki":3nznctfm said:

I prefer the work of Richard Long and Hamish Fulton myself. We will of course stop and look at the sheepfold too though.

Grizedale forest is also full of site specific sculptures too which I'll try and point out as we go around.

Harbour.jpg

Who ever built that north shore must have been on some very strong drugs ;)

Yep. As the fruit loop Mr K him self siad I'll be there, but Klien is still a box'o'bits. so will have to disapoint & ride a bike I've rideen before at a retro meet. sorry.

I'll not make this now because of work but there still should be a few dropping down across the border, Zigzag will be the one in front with the blue paint on his pus.

I've still not booked somewhere to stay - eeeek!

Anyway, this'll be the first ride on my RM Experience - carrying on a tradition (well 2 rides 2 bikes so far) of riding a new bike on a RB national ride.....

Obviously a fully rigid, large ali tubed trials bike is the wise choice for the route... :shock: :shock: :roll: :cry: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back