Repainting A Kona Explosif - Any Rules To Follow?

Well I finally got my frame back from repair and respray only to find the twinpack had not been applied properly. It is flaking in the head tube which is a killer.

I went for traffic orange in the end and it looks lovely but I think it will have to go back for a second go...

Sorry to hear about your problems, it's all in the prep, painting is easy, I did mine myself about a year ago.

Came out like this:

ourphotos198.jpg

ourphotos212.jpg

Well here it is. A little late but I got around to it in the end:
P1030561.JPG

P1030567.JPG

I went for traffic orange, with orange, black and silver decals. Very nice it looks. I was surprised that the decals were actually a shiny silver.
P1030572.JPG

I am very pleased with it. Now to get the dremel out on those brake bosses:
P1030560.JPG

Ouch! Will take some sanding as the brakes won't fit at all. Also, the seat tube was not exactly blocked up prior to powder coating! Files...and dremels oh my!
Full album so far is here.

That's nice - I also absolutely agree with painting and decals to taste and not just as original.

These are mass-produced things, not rare in any sense and 'catalogue correct' is just plain unimaginative I think. :evil:

Stunning!

There's just not enough brightly coloured bikes around. Just have to look at my sig to see that :oops:

Elementary mistake to not mask up the canti studs or block the seat tube though. Did they really know what they were doing?

cornholio's RC200":2oqdjyfl said:
Elementary mistake to not mask up the canti studs or block the seat tube though. Did they really know what they were doing?
They were commercial chaps - would not have known completely. And I didn't know enough either to say they needed to do it. C'est la vie!

The frame had a nice sizable dent and while not deep, the silver repair would not be the same alloy. I don’t know for sure but it probably would show up.

Back