The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

This has been in the How much is it worth thread fro a week or so now and no replies,
Any ideas?

Rampage":24weqejc said:
Not sure whether I should sell my GT STS 1000DS or not!
The shock has been unbolted while the stays are polished.
What's it worth?!

XnOs86-9_original.jpg

Only just found this forum and thread, and I'm amazed, as I didn't realise that the STS had such a following.

I have an STS 2. I have owned it from new and it is pretty much original, although I did not want the Lx SPD's that came with it and I later changed the factory Rock Shocks to a pair of Manitou air shocks to cut down on weight.

My bike was one of the first batch to arrive in the UK. I remember the UK importer at the time (Cerratti) were so desperate to get the bikes out there, that they were putting all sorts of pressure on dealers to stock them and were even happy for non-GT dealers to sell them. Mine came through Somerset Bike Centre, as they are my local dealer who I have supported since Dave opened the business in a container at a garden centre (another story).

So, I'll drag the poor dusty beast out of the garage later and get some photos.

I have to confess, I have never ridden the STS that much, as I tended to stick with my Zaskar LE, that I built up from a bare frame. Maybe it's time to give it a clean and polish.

Hi guys, I'm at the cross road now with this GT STS-DH restoration project for my brother:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1248001&highlight=#1248001

Do any of you guys know where I can purchase the rotors for the 4 bolt system? He has sent Formula a message but as expected, Formula replied it's too old and they do not keep spares.

If not, I will have to change the whole brake system, get adapter for the rear and maybe change to a set of new-skool Spinergy wheels. Input please!!!

Thank you in advance!

-Jack

Here's my STS-2 in all it's grubbiness.

I realised it had a couple more non-standard parts, as I let the shop keep the LX levers and thumbies and had Avid levers and Gripshift twisters fitted from new. I've upgraded everything at some point to 9 speed.

Also found the original Judy C forks, grubby, but all there.

DSC_0191.jpg

Bit of cleaning required!

DSC_0193.jpg

Anyone else here got a 14.5" frame? I'm having some serious issues with the cranks bottoming out.

Also, anyone know the Max/min pressures for the Risse shock?

STS-1 Raer Suspension Parts Needed.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 STS-1 frame, just the frame. What would be the chances of getting the rear suspension components to finish the bike? Are these parts easy to come by?

Thanks for the info,
Ian

There are super deluxe shocks on Ebay pretty often for around $100. you can still get Risse shocks direct from Risse but last I looked they wanted an arm and a leg.

stauqmuk":34yvi9dc said:
There are super deluxe shocks on Ebay pretty often for around $100. you can still get Risse shocks direct from Risse but last I looked they wanted an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the help, but I need the complete rear end of the bike as I am only getting the front triangle.

Ian

Back