1983 Steve Potts Brazed MTB [finished]

mikee":1sjgfa2p said:
lets see the white one then :D
Someday it too will get built (and have a build thread). ;)

6438985245_93a606b721_b.jpg

i look forward to it

anyway on with the present project
whats your build thoughts ?

lovely

I seem to remember the Suntour XC 9000 (1988 ish) brochure sporting a Steve Potts frame adorned with Suntour bits on the cover :cool:

Think the frameset was the same colour too!

Superb find there buddy..im looking forward to seeing this was in its finished state.

Stylus":2ny8tqfh said:
i'm guessing all WTB goodies?
1983 was still very early-days for WTB. They weren’t making that many different parts at the time.

The bike came with and will retain:
- WTB Rollercam brakes (front and rear)
- WTB Steel Flat Bars (24” wide, 25-deg bend)

Not on the bike when I got it, but almost certainly there originally were these items -- which I will add back now:
- WTB Toe Flips
- WTB-modified Magura grips

One possible WTB part that I still haven’t decided on -- or figured out whether it was there originally:
- WTB-modified Suntour Mighty shifter mounts for the Magura brake levers

The left lever shows signs that it had this mod and it was, at some point, hack-sawed off. The right lever shows no signs of it. So (at least) two possibilities on that:
1.) The bike originally had the mod both L & R, but the right lever was broken at some point and the newer shifters installed.
2.) The bike was initially built with a used/hacksawed left lever but had the newer, unmodified Suntour thumb shifters from the beginning -- as they were available in late 1983.

This pic shows the levers (lower) as well as an unmodified Magura (upper):

6912044139_5963179d82_b.jpg

Really the only other WTB part available in 1983 that could have been used on the bike were:
- WTB-modified Hi-E hubs (front and rear).

It’s pretty clear these horribly rusted Phil Woods were the original to the bike. I’m going to make a valiant effort to clean these up. Failing that, I’ll need to look for replacement Phils.

6844625693_3b78f05cc6_b.jpg

I’m still cleaning and gathering parts and working through some other decisions. Stay tuned.

If you end up going with another set, those Phils would look awesome in an aquarium as a mini-reef starter.

what were the break lever mods ?, they're not jumping out at me in that pic
those hubs may clean up with the help of a lathe

top thread btw

mikee":1nuj9wp8 said:
what were the break lever mods ?, they're not jumping out at me in that pic
It's the (filled-in) extra hole on the top surface of the left brake lever perch. It was the mounting point for a Suntour Mighty shifter. Here's a pic of the WTB modified shifter mount on another bike.

There's also a sort of complete explanation of the parts and mod with more pics on the Black Mountain blog here: http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot.com/2011/01/they-come-in-pairs.html

6916708123_430eea1290_b.jpg

Back