Proflex 955..or is it an 855..??

GOoch

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys.
I'm kinda new here, having been into Mtn bikeing some years ago well it was that long ago the GT RTS's were brand new, that's what I rode I loved it, until one night I got my garage broken into and the kit got stolen.

Anyways after quite a few years, I happend to be surfing EBay as you do, and came across this old Proflex.
On a whim and a few beers I purchased it for 150 pounds.
On getting the bike home and a full inspection, I discovered it needed a lot of work.
The frame was in a pretty bad way, so I set to work hand sanding wet and dry, 20 plus hrs on the frame later it looked not to bad.
A few other bits and bobs, this is what I've created, mite not be to some of your tastes but I'm happy with it do far.
See what you guys think.

Cheers

G

This is it's condition on pick up from the EBay seller.
11d3dea8.jpg

Then came the strip down.
e4e109ed.jpg

Frame sanding / wet and dry.
979e3e21.jpg

Stickers and such
21133fef.jpg

8844da5d.jpg

f9d3689f.jpg

efd1622b.jpg

Started the re assembly.

b960b0ab.jpg

4be1df12.jpg

a9566581.jpg

613850c0.jpg

b466507c.jpg

6eddc276.jpg

841ff748.jpg

2b4acceb.jpg

Right as you can see I've put quite a fair bit of time and effort into this.
Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
I'm also on the look out for some Girvin Vectors for the right price.

Thanks

G

Looks good, I think the only difference between the 8 and the 9 was the bike spec and the paint job, the frames were the same.

There's some vectors on the bay ATM and they regularly come up on here so it shouldn't take you too long.

Still a lot of work to go into this to get her how I want it.
Personaly I think the Elastoma is shot.
I purchased a shocker off EBay.
And was toying with this.
993440dc.jpg

But I'm not to sure, if I can pick the Girvins up for a good price I'll stick that shocker in there and have a re think about the rear shocker.

G

nice bike...
the rear shock would work...just hard to explain..
if you strip the coilover section down the rod will undo from the bottom ring leaving a thread.. good bolt and hey presto.... rear shock set up.. :D

chris

Chris I know what your saying buddy, that's a great idea I'll look into that.
Thanks for the heads up.

G

just dont grip rod with any thing that will crush it..shame you aint near or id strip it for ya..

worked with coilovers for too many years.. :D
if you get stuck. send it my way ;)

chris

Cheers Chris, I've had the thing stripped once, I think the problem I'm
Going to have is getting the elastomer and brackets off. How dose that lot come off the bike.?
There's a bolt under the struts, but it's insanely tight, no way of getting that off without drilling or heating.
I'll have a good look at the set up tommorow and see what's what.

Cheers

G

I think that woyuld be xx5 frame - they had slot in down tube for rear brake cable - probably for cantilever - slot disappear on later frames xx7 series when v-brakes arrived. (think I'm right about the frame numbering0

re: shock - check out what I did to fit a fox twin eyelet shock to my 857

it is nice to have Girvins to keep bike original plus the unusualness, unfortunatley the shock and elastomers will have long gone and it is hard to find replacements.

Have you got a link to your Shock / Bike mod.?
Be interesting to see.
Thanks for the reply buddy.

G

Back