Retro National Forest Races BITD

The Ken":2k16qobm said:
the EBC series was 89-92 I think - I did the 90 and 91 races but not them all

reckon my one and only mtb race was in 92 in the p!shing rain in a forest near pebbles, which i've always assumed is GT, representing The Buckfast Valley MTB Club.The course was mainly fireroads and bit of single track .

When did GT come into existance as trail centre?
Has anyone heard of / know of the Buckfast Valley mtb club?

I can remember a dodgy finishing DH with an actual skip on the last turn before the line - nearly slammed into it :LOL:

Plenty other memories from other courses - including a radge descent lined with spectators shouting my name :O which was odd as all the folk i travelled with were in the race?? That was slightly off-putting to say the least... Battering down a technical descent trying to concentrate; with people shouting your name?

I was racing Juniors and some guy with an Orange and skinny mud tyres won.

Must've been 95-96

gmac123":2rn1tfgx said:
The Ken":2rn1tfgx said:
the EBC series was 89-92 I think - I did the 90 and 91 races but not them all

reckon my one and only mtb race was in 92 in the p!shing rain in a forest near pebbles, which i've always assumed is GT, representing The Buckfast Valley MTB Club.The course was mainly fireroads and bit of single track .

When did GT come into existance as trail centre?
Has anyone heard of / know of the Buckfast Valley mtb club?

That might have been the year I got borderline hypothermia (I'd cycled from edinburgh to do the race, got soaked). On the way to peebles it was on the right hand side - I think the dirt bike place is there now.

Glentress was open then but only one big loop up to the radio mast, you came down the main fire tracks - at great speed.

it was about 95/6 that glentress got properly organised
there was a lot of trails that aren't used any more , but a fair amount are
still there today
some of the "hidden" trails are the old old ones

The Ken":gp64wpaj said:
That might have been the year I got borderline hypothermia (I'd cycled from edinburgh to do the race, got soaked). On the way to peebles it was on the right hand side - I think the dirt bike place is there now.

Glentress was open then but only one big loop up to the radio mast, you came down the main fire tracks - at great speed.

that makes sense to me both the hypothermia and loop..

when pedalling up the fireroad that takes you from bottom car park to the top car park (skills/freeride area) I suddenly thought this is the start of that bl00dy race. nothing worse than starting a race straight into a long hill... then when haggis, velo, radek and myself climbed to the mast last summer i recognised that too. I seem remember the path down from the mast was like a river and losing the front wheel twice, leaving me rolling down in dirt.

i was glad that my chain snapped on the hill 2nd time around, all the excuse necessary to quit :)

Back