Frame ID help - Mercian Track?

casasteve

Retro Newbie
I have recently purchased what I have been told is a 1968 Sid Mottram track frame. The original owner has told me some details about the frame but I'm looking to try and confirm a few things. Specifically it's age and if it is indeed a Mercian built frame.

So, I've been told that the original owner bought the frame in 1973 from Sid Mottram's, in Leicester. It was originally owned by a chap called Steve Emberson who raced at the Safron Lane track. Googling the name hasn't give me anything useful so far.

The frame number, stamped on the BB shell, is 8679. Everything I've read about Mercian frame numbers says that either the first two or last two digits of a Mercian frame number are the year. So here in lies the confusion, as to me this frame number either suggests a 1986 or 1979 frame! Unless Mercian used a different numbering system for frames built for other companies perhaps?

So, some photos :)

6826059263_d0c93faed0_z.jpg

6826062047_7af387a6d9_z.jpg

6826078767_e4d31f2205_z.jpg

Some more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/casa-steve ... 826062047/

I'd really love any information or thoughts on this frame! Thanks in advance :)

Looks like a nice frame, it's certainly got a chunky rear end. Was the rider a sprinter?

I have no idea! I can't find any info about the rider unfortunately. The original owner is apparently trying to get in touch with him! Should be interesting to find out.

I love the frame. It's detailed, but subtle. Not to flashy on the lugs etc. Apparently this was originally a lovely duck-egg blue (as you can see by the stripped paint on the seat tube) with gold lug lining. Love the colour :)

Mercians always had a classy look about them because they often looked a bit dainty........meant in the nicest possible way.

IMHO that looks a bit butch to be a Mercian LOL

Shaun

I had a Sid Mottram bike a few years ago which had been repainted, it was built with Nervex lugs but had the same brake bridge as yours. Sadly, it was too small so I had to sell it but, wow, was it ever a nice bike. I've attached a few photos, I wish I had more, the craftsmanship was top shelf.

I had a conversation with Mercian but they were unable to determine if it had built by them as their records were incomplete for the time period that mine had been likely built. I think I also tracked down a chap who had Sid Mottram decals, I can dig around and see if I still have his contact info if you would like.

sid13r.jpg

sid16.jpg

sid18.jpg

sid20.jpg

ct17.jpg

ct15.jpg

Possible Sid Mottram track bike

I have a track bike I have been trying to identify. It shares some of the characteristics of your bikes, but also has a few subtle differences.
My frame number is on the rear left drop out and stearer tube 59xxxx which if its mercian built would be 1959.
The lugs are nervex, and look like the ones on the red bike.
The wrap round seat stay is more rounded on mine. The rear drop outs have drillings for a mudguard and are less angular and the cross bridge is drilled for a brake or mudguard.
The head badge was missing but someone had put a sticker there, under it the colour was light blue, the rest of the bike was painted red.
The forks are tubular as on the red bike. I have a Sid Mottram anglo europa, and the style of my track bike is very similar, having seen the red bike I think mine might also be similar.

Pictures are of the same bike, red pre rebuild blue after

Attachments

• Copy of 2011_1016_133755.JPG
    Copy of 2011_1016_133755.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,903
  • Copy of 2012_0201_110255.JPG
    Copy of 2012_0201_110255.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 2,903
  • Copy of 2011_1114_143539.JPG
    Copy of 2011_1114_143539.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 2,900
Back