Oct 1956 Claud Butler Olympic Sprint Restoration

The_Butler

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

New to the forum! I've been lucky enough to get my hands on a 1956 Claud Butler Olympic sprint frame. If the information I've been able to find out so far is correct, it was manufactured in October 1956 which, as the original Claud went into administration that month, could be one of the very last "real" Claud Butlers ever produced.

The frame's in pretty good shape, despite the terrible paint job, although it does have a small dent in the top tube.

I'd really like to get it restored to it's original condition and have managed to find the 1955 catalogue thanks to Norman Kilgariff's great website.

Unfortunately the resolution's not quite good enough to get a feel for the detail on the paint job and the decals - particularly on the seat tube. I've found pictures of a lot of similar 50's frames but they have a range of different finishes and decals.

I've attached a couple of photos of the frame and frame number.

It would be great if anyone could point in the right direction. Would love to be able to get this bike restored as close to it's original condition as possible!

Attachments

• Frame New Small.JPG
    Frame New Small.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,122
Welcome, you are answering a question that only you can answer. Its originality against restoration, my advice is too simply assess the frame and paint work, and if it hasn't any major areas of unprotected metal/rust, is usable and just looks its age, leave it. Build it up and if you are happy ( your components will be of an age unless you are using NOS - expensive ! ) with the look, keep it. You can't 'undo' a restore, while you can restore an original frame anytime you want. Just add a couple of down tube decals if you want a better identity for the bike. I get all mine from H. Lloyd Cycles, the scripted 'Claud Butler' would do the job, but its your call. I have a restored CB, which had to be done as the paint work was badly applied via a can, it looks okay but does look restored. Terry http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk_photos/4760086966/in/photostream

That's a lovely Sport Anglais!

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the paint is a lovely manual "brushed-on" job and the original paintwork has either been stripped or lost as despite a rub-down with turps no other colours appear before metal! I'd really like to restore it and have been in touch with Dave Yates.

I know Claud was famous for their metallic finishes and was thinking of a deep blue. It's more the details, for example any Olympic decals/banding on the seat-tube or chroming (all be it on the drop-outs or forks), that I'd really like to get right.

I suppose if I can't find any more information I should just make a call on what looks/feels right.

Hi, catalogues can help but are only guides as most bikes turned up with whatever was in the parts / decal bins at the time of assembly. Search google and check out the images, old photo's do turn up. The classic lightweight site is always a good starting point. Good luck and show us the results, mid year ish - there's usually a queue at Dave Yates. Terry

Back