Bargain bin Carbon build

HavelockEllis

Retro Guru
I thought it was about time, after picking up a few bargains on retrobikes, to start posting up a couple of builds.
Just finished putting this together, on a fairly frugal budget, with the intention of putting together a light(ish) weight hardtail for as little as possible.
PC030018.jpg

The frame is a Full Dynamix, that I'd seen on ebay a couple of times, and eventually picked it up for £80 off ebay
PA140034.jpg

on the plus side it had a Middleburn Duo crankset and XT front mech - on the negative side, the lacquer was fairly knackered, there looked to be a bit of potentially nasty chainsuck and the cranks and bottom bracket were seized solid.
PA220040.jpg

After a lot of Plusgas and levering, the offending bottom bracket was eased out, shell intact. I thought about getting Carbolift to move the lacquer, but 35 euros for 500ml seemed a bit steep, and, after a squint on Weight Weenies, went for the other option of Home Strip eco water based paint stripper and Scotch pads, which seems to work a treat.

Chain suck was not as bad as it first appeared, but I had enough spares left over in a Carbonology repair kit, to double skin and fill the damage;
PA300053.jpg
During
PA310054.jpg
After
PA310055.jpg
Finished, bar final polish

Completed build, with winter tyres, comes in at 23 1/2 lbs - with Twisters and latex inners, and a bit of fine tuning (cutting down the seatpin and a Ti bottom bracket are on the cards), I'd like to think I can get it below 23lbs. Apart from the X7 front and rear mech, everything else is either from here or out of the spares bin - the original cranks and bottom bracket fetched£108 on ebay, which helped bring total build costs down to approximately £420
PC030019.jpg

Spec;
Thomson Stem
Easton Bars
X9 shifters with X7 front and rear mech (meagre tuning)
Raceface Platinum ISIS BB
Raceface XC cranks
LX levers
Onza Ule grips
XTR M970 brakes
Manitou Skareb forks
XT hubs, XT cassette
YBAN chain
Panaracer Fire XC tyres
FSA Orbit headset
Clarks Clim8 and Jagwire cables and outers
No name Taiwanese Ti seatpin
No name Taiwanese Ti railed Fizik copy saddle
All fasteners replaced with titanium or SRP

Big thanks to everyone I purchased off on here, who might recognise some of the bits they've moved on - picked up some proper bargains, and not had a minutes trouble

Back