Raleigh Thunder Road

NicoNB

Retro Newbie
When looking for some information about my Raleigh Thunder Road I found this forum.

Here is my own Thunder Road. (first owner)

When I bought the bike I did not like the very small rims, so they were replaced by wider rims. The Magura brakes were one of the first available in the Netherlands and I replaced the cantilever brakes for them. Main reason for using hydraulics is because I wanted to test hydraulics for my randonneur to see if the give me more braking power. They still work very well but came with the disadvantage of being quite direct.

Over the years I also replaced the drive train and hubs several times.
Recently fitted the bike with 9 speed Deore (added a spacer so I can still use the 7 speed Shimano cassette until that is worn out).

That kind of predicts the end for the still original Suntour Xpress and the Suntour dérailleurs.

The bike is still in use, nearly every day I am taking it out for a ride.

Attachments

• Thunder Road 2012.jpg
    Thunder Road 2012.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,822
Welcome to RetroBike Nico

I've got a couple of old raleighs myself. They tend to get a mixed reaction on here because they made so many random models that were very similar and , of course , they made some rubbish !

Thunder Road was part of a range that included White Lightnin', Blueridge, Chinook, Appalachian, Ozark and Avanti.

Great bikes, and all the frames were hand made.

Regards

You missed Moonshine from that range. Made me wonder if someone in the marketing department was fond of the sauce - two booze names in one range.

terryhfs":2nnkcl98 said:
You missed Moonshine from that range. Made me wonder if someone in the marketing department was fond of the sauce - two booze names in one range.

Thanks for the reminder. The marketing department for Special Products was me and Melvyn Cresswell, and I'm not taking the credit for those.
:LOL:

Back