Hope disks - straightening and sanding ?

Just ride the frikken thing and let the use of the brakes remove some pad thickness, a few emergency stops, bed the pads to the disks and I bet its all sweet in about 15 min's of riding round the block ;) :cool:

G

with floating disc, you can bend the alloy carrier arms by hand; press on on the arms and not the brake disc itself.

re: burrs - sounds like bad finish; ofcourse ridiing and doing a few stops should wear thos off but they shouldn't come like from new - I have same discs and mine was smooth.

Yup, ride to the top of a big hill. Ride back down applying the brakes hard a few times. The braking surface will soon be shiny and smooth.

S-M":1mnhichn said:
Do these "floaters" even float ??

I cant see how they would float to be honest.

They dont ,well i think its more about the alloy carrier attached to the steel of the braking surface.
Spin the wheel,throw some mud into the calliper and apply the brake-bingo :D ,you've just sanded the rotors ;)
There isnt anything wrong with these holes,because the holes are drilled at a right angle through the steel it will naturally leave a sharp edge around the hole circumference.
If you were to spend days feathering each hole all your hard work would be undone when you braked.

S-M":3do1pe91 said:
Do these "floaters" even float ??

I cant see how they would float to be honest.

There's no lateral float - the advantage that they have over a one-piece rotor is that when the braking surface heats up in use the whole ring can expand away from the aluminium carrier slightly, rather than having to absorb the expansion in the form of distortion to the braking surface, which you then feel as pulsing back through the lever.

I only have experience of the Hope floating rotors, but I find the improvement is noticeable. As far as "sharp edges/burrs" goes, get a bit of heat and some mud on them and don't bother about it.

make sure your adj. spanner is clean!! use IsoP alcohol on it's mouth and on the disc after bending it, sorry repairing :LOL:

Back