My rather sad Klein MC1 Project

Baldyz1

Retro Guru
I am not really sad as I have bought myself a Klein MC1. The sad part is that it needs a huge amount of work but then I did pick it up for reasonable money.

The two worst parts are the fact that I do not have the MC1 stem and bars and some mad fool cut off the gear hanger.

I actually think the gear hanger will be easier to solve than the MC1 bar.

One mystery for me is the rear fixed wheel which is on a hope hub. Measuring the gear side it would not fit an 8 speed cassette. It appears to be a Hope screw on. If anyone knows whether an 8 speed screw on can be fitted then please let me know how. Or maybe this is just a 7 speed.

A Klein looks a bit sad in a single colour and without decals. However in the flesh there is something menacing and yet rather understated about this machine and I see why the previous owner loved it.

The final big ask of all Klein lovers is which colour scheme should I paint her?

Votes please!!!

Attachments

• Klein_1.jpg
    Klein_1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,297
  • Klein_rear.jpg
    Klein_rear.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,297
  • Klein2.jpg
    Klein2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,297
Get some Klein decals and keep the colour as it is. What have they done to the stem :shock:

Gil_m has decals or jonrock can repaint in Klein colours like new.

poor klein! :shock:

i don't think it wants to be a BMX bike!

paintjobs, so many good ones. maybe something not so common. the splatter version is very nice imho...

235128Splat1.jpg

Klein headset

Not looked at the headset in detail yet but I think it has a simple insert which acts like a quill to ahead converter I guess.

Desperately looking for an MC1 combo of course.

I also love the splatter. I am pretty sure this is a 1993 so obviously it has to tie in with this so I believe things like Nightstorm are out.

All suggestions welcomed and experts can tell me what the correct colours for the year should be.

Cheers

...it looks like you've got a Hope single speed rear hub there - they didn't build many. i sold one of mine a while back and there was alot of interest in it.

Re: Klein headset

Baldyz1":62ip3awc said:
All suggestions welcomed and experts can tell me what the correct colours for the year should be.

Cheers

Have you checked the 'Gallery & Archive' section? As that will have a scan of the correct cat. of your year.

How are you going to solve the hanger issue? Also, What is the length of the MC1 combo you are looking for?

I may have a hanger that could be made to work with this. I will have a look in the morning. Its a handsome dog rockhound horizontal hanger, theres a similar one on the market that dmr make that was held in place by the QR and slotted into the horizontal slot and around the axle itself.

Back