SUN Supalite - any info appreciated

spearear

Retro Newbie
Hi all, just joined up as today I picked up a lovely SUN Supalite
Built in Birmingham I think this bike is late 50s before SUN was taken over by Raleigh but other than that I know nothing!
Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi, there's some info on Birmingham Sun's scattered around the web, basically they were a good medium sized builder, who peaked in the late 30's thru to early 50's, after that there was a slow decline until the Raleigh takeover in 1961 'ish. The superlite name was used during the fifties, so to start with, piccies would be useful to identify, and there should be a serial number on one of the dropouts, can you get this and we can get an idea of the year. Terry

Hi, the serial number would nail the year, but as it has GB Sports MK 11 brakes, 1957 looks there about. The Superlite was behind the Wasp and Manxman in the pecking order, and looks like it uses plain 531 tubing, so it should ride well. I've attached a jpeg of the catalog page from 1957, which does look similar to your bike. Terry

Attachments

• sun superlite.JPG
    sun superlite.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,705
Hi OldTel
Thanks for the info
The serial number is YSV 11103 X
So far all I know is that the Y is the financial year 57 to 58

Hi, thats the key digit, usually there's only two alphabetic numbers, but when there are three, the middle one's the model, so in this case -superlite, the third is the workshop it came from. The 'X' can sometimes just indicate a non standard frame i.e. longer top tube than catalogue sizing. Hope you are going to bring it back to its original glory. Terry

Recently reminiscing about very happy years spent Youth Hosteling around the Yorkshire Dales on my Sun Supalite during the late 50's.
Here is a pic taken of my bike in Lawnswood Road, Keighley. It was beautiful blue with chrome forks - loved it!!

Attachments

• my bike.jpg
    my bike.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,134
Hi, nice to see an original photo of one, happy days, must seem a world away from today's busy society. Terry

Back