Resprayed Trek Fuel EX 8

BertR00t

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Firstly sorry for the phone pictures. Mate got this frame a number of months ago with a view to me building it up when he got some funds to do it. Over the past few months he has been gathering parts and it is finally at a point where it can go together. Well almost. It came missing a couple of bearings and a few needed replacing. I have done some but the two near the bottom bracket need doing and I really don't want to knacker them so Wheelbase are going to do them next Saturday while we head off out from Staveley ready for collection when we get back.

af7e1faf.jpg

Got some good bits to go on it when I get there but got the tyres and tubes, rotors and cassette on it for now and the seat and post. Fave bit for me is these babies, DMR Vaults in Show Chrome.

07026164.jpg

Parts list is as follows, a lot of bits have come out of my shed.

Frame: Trek Fuel EX8 2008 18.5"

Fork: marzocchi All Mountain 2 2006

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: X-Lite Fly
Handlebar: RaceFace Next Carbon Riser
Grips: LizardSkins Peaty

Brakes: Hope Tech M4
Brake Pads: Hope Sintered
Brake Hoses: Goodridge Braided White
Brake Levers: Hope Tech Levers

Shifters: SRAM X.0
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire Pro in white
Cassette: SRAM PG990 Orange
Chain: KMC X9L
Cranks: RaceFace Atlas AM
Chainrings: RaceFace Turbine
Chainring bolts: RaceFace
Bottom Bracket: Hope External - Ceramic Bearings
Pedals: DMR Vault

Hub Skewers: Front Mavic, Rear Trek ABP
Rims: >
Hubs: > Mavic Crossride
Nipples: >
Spokes: >
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.25
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: Something Orange
Seatpost: Bontrager
Seatpost Binder: Salsa QR

I love the look of this! Chair pulled up for build pictures. Think my next bike could be one of these or an Orange 5????

Damn seatstay is borked. Previous owner tried to force a bearing in the thing and has gouged out a bit of the bearing seat. Could bodge and use but not sure if it will put stress elsewhere on the rear end.

Hunting for a seatstay as Trek want 175. Might have found one...

More to come I hope...

Managed to source a seatstay for 50 quid, sadly it is black but looks good on the frame. Faced the bottom bracket and fitted new bearings to all the pivots and new bushings to the shock. Haven't had any time to do a lot on it but got a nice crank for it very cheap off Chain Reaction with the 17 quid Paddys Day discount so stuck that on it.

21d8e39c.jpg

Hope to get this done over the weekend to a rideable state...

Back