Orange - It is what it is.

It's an interesting point of view. I'm with you though jamabikes. Personally I find that, in an age of mass production and lights out factories, the idea of people who know their craft hand building bikes hugely appealing. Lovely stuff - should be more of it. :)

the great roberto":y4q9f3gt said:
Look at Oranges welding area, most engineering workshops have moved away form 1970 style Tit calendars a long time ago.
You're seriously basing a purchase decision on the basis of what calendar hangs on the factory wall? Except you're not because you mention it's different if it's behind closed doors...

Orange appear to be a successful UK manufacturer. They make products people want to buy. I wouldn't think they get much (if any) support from government agencies. I really can't see the comparison with British Leyland.

That video will have many many many more people now wanting an Orange than thinking like you. PR job done, but there's always one. :roll:

Intresting that no-one has challenged what i said about Guy.
:shock:

I did say that a bike is about the ride...............And what I said was that it had not encouraged me to buy an Orange.Not that I would not.

Go look at the recent Hope video, manufacturing facilities that are worlds apart.

But I doubt if other (higher end) UK or US bike manufacturers facilities and standards are any different to that of Orange.

And who welds without proper gloves ? Or doesn't turn the end of their filler wire over to prevent poking someone elses eye out. Just me then. But then I don't earn a living from welding. So what do I know.

technodup":1cyz32tx said:
I really can't see the comparison with British Leyland.

No? Well then this kind of semi skilled hand building will clearly apeal to you.

I'm in agreement with Roberto on this one. If i caught someone welding at my worksite without proper ppe, as demonstrated at Orange, then they'd be looking for a new job. Dont see what's wrong? Then buy an Orange frame in blissful ignorance.

Sorry but you "guys" clearly dont get it.

technodup":s60fmoms said:

No? Well then this kind of semi skilled hand building will clearly apeal to you.

I'm in agreement with Roberto on this one. If i caught someone welding at my worksite without proper ppe, as demonstrated at Orange, then they'd be looking for a new job. Dont see what's wrong? Then buy an Orange frame in blissful ignorance.

Perhaps Orange like Surly is more about being in a bike family that loves bikes and just happens to be a business

Buying a bike on wether they are anal about health and safety would seem silly to be honest. How many times have we all broken h & s in our own jobs or bemoaned h & s has gone too far

I would buy an orange purely on the basis they are passionate about bikes and believe in thier products rather than some brain dead robot factory put together by cynical profiteering suits with no passion for biking other than the almighty dollar

Flat Lander":47cqx506 said:
technodup":47cqx506 said:
this kind of semi skilled hand building will clearly apeal to you.

Dont see what's wrong? Then buy an Orange frame in blissful ignorance.
It does, and I have.

I don't know (or care particularly) about workplace safety practices. Why should I- I'm a consumer, not a bureaucrat. I maintain it's ridiculous to make a buying decision on the basis of a one-off video. Are you as thorough with your ethics on everything else you use or buy? If you are I struggle to see how you ever buy anything.

We use things every day made in countries where the attitude to health and safety is very different to our EU standards. So the world doesn't dance to the EU tune. Good.

Like most consumers I want a good product at the right price. How it gets there is of no consequence whatsoever. And to use one example the number of suicides at Apple's Chinese outsourcers hasn't stopped many buying an Iphone.

Flat Lander":2sznpcar said:
technodup":2sznpcar said:

How do you work out that they're semi skilled? I'm just as skilled at my job regardless of if I've got my full ppe or not :?

Most of the chaps there have been at Orange for years so Lester and Steve must be happy with what they produce. I'm very happy as I'm on my second 5 and have not had an issue with either.

Oh, and the other part of the factory is much smarter. They are a very friendly bunch so I'm sure they'd let you see for yourself next time you're in Halifax. ;)

Back