My dream set of wheels (at long last)....but what are yours?

fuzzywig":136oprrq said:
...230 TIB these things can't resist pringles...

I guess I'm just a better rider than you then? :LOL:

I joke, I joke.

Who can honestly say that the Retrobike 'Scene' isn't at LEAST 50% Nostalgia? I can't help that these rims have meaning to me from BITD.

Will the 230s work as a rim? Yes. Will it last forever and be the best rim ever made? I don't care, as they look pretty! :D

Shaun knows why these are my current choice anyway.... ;)

fuzzywig":3kueg0a0 said:
'hack' wheel you offend me sir :D

Sorry to offend, but that's not my intention at all. We probably all have sets of wheels that do the job perfectly, whether it be winter work or everyday use which is all very practical and sensible and to be honest to most normal practical people durability would be their dream wheels in fact. Your wheels are fantastic and I love the 217's, but try finding a NOS or mint set these days. 717s would be my first choice for a modern build, but for an exact period mint dream superbike build, wear is the last thing on your mind. :oops: I carefully started this thread with the title 'dream wheels' and yes, I know its sad to put period correctness and a certain 'look' above all else, but if you have longed for a certain bike with exact parts for over 13 years, sometimes you just have to 'scratch that itch' to get it out of your system. ;)

Also if they do wear out very quickly as you state, then anyone who does have a mint set and looks after them will end up with VERY rare piece of period mountain bike memorabilia, which is what collectors love! :D

I like all wheels really...

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

These don't even fit on a mountain bike, I had fun building them though :) someone should make mad coloured spokes in MTB lengths...

I like wheels so much I have more pairs of wheels than bikes to fit them too :p

My favourite has to be chris kings or hope's just for the freewheel noise. These have to be built with ceramic rims, none of that horrible black rim gunk, and ceramics last so much longer than conventional rims I fully believe they're cost effective, especially on narrow rims that can be significantly weakened by dished braking surfaces.

I'm having some M950 hubs built into light DT swiss ceramic rims, that I think I will be fond of.

My favourite set are my super strong 36h blue hope sports (ti) built onto D521 ceramics, double butted rear spokes, plain gauge front spokes, with first generation hope Ti QR skewers, they were so expensive I had to buy the front several months after the rear!!!

gtRTSdh":3j5y2wnu said:
My favourite set are my super strong 36h blue hope sports (ti) built onto D521 ceramics, double butted rear spokes, plain gauge front spokes, with first generation hope Ti QR skewers, they were so expensive I had to buy the front several months after the rear!!!

Hi 'gtRTSdh' the above wheels with blue Hope Ti hubs with D521 Ceramics sound very special indeed - great colour combo! :cool: Have you any pics we can see? Is it just me, but don't you think that the first generation HOPE QR skewers are a far more pleasing design than the latest design?

No photo's right now, the bikes at the shop have a very unusual syncros BB removed (if they can without damaging it).

TBH they're very understated, built for strength and life rather than flash, blue hubs, silver spokes with plain silver (brass) nipples, and very dark rims.

I do have a couple of sets of blue ti-glides / suspension which in all honesty are much prettier & make the best noise going!

BITD I had a set of wheels built, black LX hubs, 217 cd's, DT revs, and 4 alternating nipple colours, whilst fast light and they looked great they didn't last very long being ridden every weekend. First the rear rim cracked where the braking surface had worn so thin, and I'm sure the concave braking surfaces were a large part of why the front wheel folded in half when the front wheel slipped out sending me into soft leaves / undergrowth totally unharmed.

I wheelied the best part of three miles home with a bent front wheel (not continuously although I was pretty good and could wheelie downhill and around corners on demand).

With the black hubs and dark rims it looked really good, of course 32 & 36h divide nicely by four conveniently, I think it was blue, gold, red and black, no purple. . .

New M950's and DT swiss 440 ceramics

dsc03024f.jpg

dsc03025n.jpg

dsc03026k.jpg

Hope sports and D521 ceramics

dsc03027bx.jpg

dsc03028rs.jpg

dsc03029j.jpg

One set of ti glide / suspension

dsc03032e.jpg

dsc03033ez.jpg

Another set