Claud Butler - what year, what type? (probably '81!)

jmgk

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi there. I was given this Claud Butler, made by Holdsworthy, in a beautiful metallic blue colour. I only needed to put new brake cables in and we were off! I have the original handlebars and levers etc, but had to swap them out to get things working straight away. The Brooks saddle is a family heirloom and is likely to be 50 years old, at least.
Everything else on the bike appears to be original equipment, from tyres to mudguards and rack, everything.

But I would love to know how old it is and where it sits in the range. It has a suntour Honour rear mech which apparently dates from '77-82 (disraeili gears) and a "Spirt" top-normal (unususal!) front mech. 700c wheels with "worthy" tyres, alloy hubs, rear hub has threads on both sides. 531 fork blades but the frame might not be 531. Not heavy, weighs similar to the tricked-out Lava Dome in the background.

The decals are early 80s I'm sure, but the rear brake cable routing has an exposed run across the side of the top tube which they were not doing in the 1982 catalogue or later. I would say a 1981 Cresta as my guess, but that bike should be Blue-Violet, and this is definitely not that! Maybe it's earlier? I hope someone can tell me!

Attachments

• DSCF6340.JPG
    DSCF6340.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 5,769
  • DSCF6345.JPG
    DSCF6345.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 5,769
  • claud s.jpg
    claud s.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 5,540
Frame: Claud Butler, handbuilt by the Holdsworthy company

Fork: Reynolds 531 butted

Headset: OEM Spec!
Stem: GB
Handlebar: GB
Bar Tape: Foam

Brake Levers/Brifters: Weinmann
Brake Calipers: Weinmann Type 730
Brake Pads: OEM spec.
Brake Cables: Stainless

Shifters: Suntour
Front Derailleur: Suntour Spirt
Rear Derailleur: Suntour Honor
Derailleur Cables: Rusty
Cassette: Suntour?
Chain: OEM spec...
Cranks: SilStar (SR) forged alloy
Chainrings: 54tooth outer, inner...38?t
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals: Rusty chrome

Rims: Staral 700C
Hubs: ATOM, made in france
Hub Skewers: nuts
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Worthy 700x28c
Tubes: inside

Saddle: Brooks sprung
Seatpost:
Seatpost Binder:

Bottle Cage:
Extras: Blumels Olympic Mudguards, Tonard Brazing Co rear rack

Weight:

have a look at both hubs as normally date stamped ie 78 would be 1978 , another good place to look for dates is the brake calipers as they some times have a small circle with the 12 months and again last 2 digits of year on them .

double thread on rear hub would allow a fixed gear to be run on the other thread ie a flip flop . my geuss looking at pic would be late 70's or early 80's .

nice looking bike though

Ah, good call! I couldn't find the date on the hubs but both callipers are marked 82.

That only makes me more confused, as the catalogue bikes don't really look anything like mine from around that time (see: http://www.nkilgariff.com/ClaudButler.htm )

The brake cable routing is different on all those newer bikes.

Maybe it was an old frame built up with newer parts or something. Still have no idea which model it's supposed to be.

It's a lovely ride, although the 54tooth chainring is a little ridiculous in this part of the world. I'd like to get centre-pull brakes for it too, Is that fair game?

upgrade to centre pulls are easy , apart from calipers you will need both cable guides fr & rr , might be better of going for a pr of modern dual action calipers just as easy and better braking to boot

ahh yes, the dual action callipers would be a fine upgrade, but I did want to try and keep the patina of age (or "crust") as much as possible.

We'll see what comes up, I guess. I assume the cable guides are relatively easy to find, or is that going to be a sticking point?

Hi, i have a full set of weinnman center pull, inc front and rear cable hangers, and levers(no hoods though), going spare, after a change of build. £16 +p+p to UK.

Piperdave, thanks for your reply.
Two other people have replied to my "Wanted" thread, so I'll just see what they say...I'm trying to avoid spending too much, but I will let you know :)

Better photo. Does actually look a bit blue-violet.

Can anyone say whether the tubing is a decent quality on these(non 531) Holdsworthy bikes or are they made from the equivalent of recycled washing machines?

I think i'm going to get some high-polish mudguards and some other bits and pieces to tart it up a little.

Brooks can repair the saddle too! (by putting new leather on... still not absurdly expensive for what will be a new saddle)

At the end of the '70's Claud Butler / Holdsworthy did a few models with 531 fork blades. I think another forum member - maybe Keithglos? - mentioned the frame and stay tubing was seamless tubing made by Reynolds, but not 531 unless stated to be so. Whatever it is, it makes lovely frames - my own Claud (which isn't 531) is significant;y lighter than my younger, alloy chainset equipped Viking...

It's a handsome beastie anyway...

Back