I need your help choosing a FS frame!!!

bluebouye

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone help me? I have always, always, always ridden hardtails. I currently ride a 96 Kona Kula with fairly modern bits and I love it. However, I purchased a broken 09/10 Boardman Comp FS today for £100, the frame is cracked but all the parts are mint.

I was going to sell the bits on but just couldn't help wondering what it would be like to take it up to the Peaks (where everyone rides a FS). I love the fact that I can outclimb friends on my hardtail and I am not into bombing down mountain sides at high speed (I am rapidly approaching 40!!!) but I thought it was a great opportunity to build a cheap FS rig to see what all the fuss is about. Any ideas because I am at a loss. I really want to do it as cheap as poss, so I don't mind keeping it retro but I don't like the idea of bobbing about all day just to be more comfortable on those decents. Is there a happy medium? and can it be done on a budget?

I await your expert opions eagerley!!! :D

hi
can the boardman be repaired to try it out. nothing wrong with having a fs in the stable.i prefer ht,s but have had a fs all the time give it a go you might like it.
thwang

Is it broken on the driveside chainstay?

I think this would be more a case of see what pops up. Look for a shock with lockout thouh possibly to stop you bobbing around? Or maybe an i drive frame or something similar like a mongoose with the similar system.

Its clean broken about a 3rd of the way up the seat tube. I just thought it would be a write off. Can they be re-welded adequately enough?

I'd buy another frame. And as for bobbing, most modern designs (possibly with the exception of long travel spesh frames), are very efficient, and sometimes people confuse the action of their arse bumping up and down on the seat, for pedal induced bob.

You can't really go wrong with a Santa Cruz, especially if it has pro-pedal, which will very effectively mask the old , simple design's inadequacies.

if you search on pinkbike there is a guy selling a boardman fs pro frame for £100 without a shock. I am assuming yours came with a shock?
transfer your bits over then flog the broken frame on for bits on fleabay?

Back