The Lynskey Litespeed Group. Review and post a pic of yours.

Anthony":1lkl1a2k said:
You completely miss the point. I'm not comparing the value of a Litespeed to a steel frame, I'm pointing out that Litespeeds are not valued as the premium-level frames you believe them to be. What makes you think that a Litespeed Obed is better than a Hei Hei and on a par with a Merlin XLM? Have you ridden them all? I'm wondering what is the substance underlying this long thread.

Incidentally the short answer to your overall question is no. I'm not aware of anybody with a collection of Litespeeds, nor anybody on here who has taken any great interest in their history.

Hi Anthony, I 100% agree with your valid imput and comment. Pre ABG Litespeeds are not valued and yes I have ridden a Hei Hei and although the Kona variant is far more sought after and thus far more expensive to buy, does not feel quite as nice, which will come as a shock to many. :shock: I have not ridden a Merlin XLM and thus cannot comment on the ride of that particular bike. I also agree that a Lynskey Litespeed will never be collectable, I assume that I must be one of the very few elite on the planet then that have taken an interest in their history and personally find it collectable.

The whole point of this thread is to try and alter people's pre-judgement on a brand that they assume is average and thus they might miss out on owning what I believe is the best riding and well made bike that I have owned in 20 years of buying top end brands and riding everyday.

I personally think some of the world's best ever riders like John Tomac and Lance Armstrong might have a bit more of an understanding of the Lynskey brand than the average rider and that alone is good enough for me! Lets face it, someone who rides to be a World Champion goes for reliability and performance above anything else, they are not burdened by nostalgia or pretty paint etc. Remember Armstrong rode for Trek in the 1999 Tour de France, but insisted on a Lynskey frame painted as a Trek for the time trails, THAT'S A COOL PIECE OF HISTORY ALONE! :cool:

The fact that these legends get it and the average person dosn't, actually makes me feel privilaged. :oops:

So Anthony, in summary, the substance of this thread as you put it, is to go against the grain about Lynskey and hopefully some members might now give one a go that would have normally not bothered.

It would give me great pleasure to read a few threads in a few months about Retrobike members who, instead of following the heard, decided to buy a Lynskey Litespeed and then agree thats its one of the best rides you can get. I FEEL GREEDY KEEPING ALL THIS PLEASURE TO MYSELF. :mrgreen:

suburbanreuben":twlrw5dc said:
Didn't IF build the ti P.I.S.S.O.F.F. ?
Can only have helped their rep! ;)

Cheers for that comment 'suburbanreuben' that made me laugh. The Independent Fabrication P.I.S.S.O.F.F. is actually a great TI bike that is quite rare (obviously) and thus very sought after and collectable. That along with the Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.L.O.X may be the secret to making a bike collectable, maybe Lynskey should have had a funny name like
T.I.T A.N.I.U.M or something! lol :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have attached a picture below of the famous P.I.S.S.O.F.F. Awesome :cool:

Attachments

• IF.jpg
    IF.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 2,508
Fun in the Snow!

I am ashamed to admit, but I only take my Litespeed out for a thrashing normally on bright sunny summer days, but all this talk has got me wanting to take it out today in the snow! Wow what a day, I think I will still have a grin on my face at bedtime. :D :D :D

Attachments

• 11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 6.jpg
    11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 6.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 5.jpg
    11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 5.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 4.jpg
    11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 4.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 3.jpg
    11th Feb 2012 Litespeed in the Snow 3.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,577
It's certainly a great-looking bike, but it's surely a 1999 model isn't it? It has a 99 downtube decal, those kinked-down chainstays first came out in 1999, and they changed the cable stops to that layout from 99.

I think you're exaggerating this 'Lynskey Litespeed' aspect though. As I understand it, ABG bought the family out in mid 1999 and although David Lynskey left soon afterwards, there must have been some kind of split within the family because Mark Lynskey stayed on as President and CEO of Litespeed under ABG ownership. Then at the end of 2000, Litespeed under Mark Lynskey bought Merlin and Quintana Roo, and transferred most of the Merlin designers and welders to Chattanooga.

Things may have gone downhill a bit later on, and Mark Lynskey had left by c2005, but to begin with after 1999 Litespeed was still run by Mark Lynskey, the original designers and welders were still there, plus reinforcements (employees rose from 82 to 132). So I can't see any reason to regard 1999 as some kind of seismic shift and straight away every Litespeed produced was inferior to what had gone before. If there was a deterioration, it seems that it must have been quite gradual over a number of years.

Anthony":1v7hdal0 said:
It's certainly a great-looking bike, but it's surely a 1999 model isn't it? It has a 99 downtube decal, those kinked-down chainstays first came out in 1999, and they changed the cable stops to that layout from 99.

Yah, it's the same as my '99, I was actually wondering the same thing a little earlier

Anthony":2i9zbb9f said:

Thanks for that info Anthony. I bought the frame new in 1999 at a discounted price (couldn't have afforded the full retail!). The salesman told me that it was discounted as it was made in 1998, so I have always assumed it to be a 1998. :shock: Even better to have one of the last signature 1999s though, so I will look into it and I hope it is. :)

Back