New bike time! Specialized Camber or Giant Anthem or...?

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Decided a few days ago that it was time for my Stumpy to go. Had only used it a couple of times and it seemed a real waste to have sitting in my shed doing nothing.

Quite fancy replacing it with a 4"-5" travel cross-country full suss bike. But what to buy?! 2012 spec bikes are silly expensive for a half decent spec, but I can probably get a good deal on a Giant or a Specialized. So what to go for?

Camber seems ok but how will it climb? Anthem also looks tidy. Decisions!

Anyone have any recommendations?

EarlofBarnet":s0gq376h said:
2012 spec bikes are silly expensive for a half decent spec, but I can probably get a good deal on a Giant or a Specialized. So what to go for?

Must it be new? I have bought erm cough too many bikes off ebay, 1 or 2 year old max, all in next to perfect condition for 1/3 to 1/2 RRP.

Been looking second-hand too. Should be able to 1/3 off new so it depends how good a deal I can get on a used one. Second hand bikes seem to hold their prices better at the moment with the cost of new bikes at the moment. Will have to have a good browse of eBay etc :)

Camber is basically a Stumpjumper FSR....

I was working in a Specialized dealer when they came out in 2010 and was blown over by the amount of bike you got for the money.

As pointed out - you can get a lot of second-hand bike for the same money. But with all FS frames you do need to check that you won't have to spend a lot more on new bushings/bearings etc. as riding worn bearings can actually destroy the frame (particularly with carbon ones).

My own take on it is to only buy second-hand or online if you know exactly what you are doing with a spanner and (for second-hand) a bearing press. If you don't then buy new for the sake of the extra back up you will get from a dealer (obviously, chooes your dealer based upon reputation for after-sales service).

Nothing wrong with the Camber or Anthem, might be worth considering the Giant Trance as well.

Sorted now :) Went second hand and got a 2008 Specialized's Epic from Jerky on here. Will tinker the spec a little and see how I get one. Saved me a few quid over going new!

EarlofBarnet":8z2ehtum said:
Sorted now :) Went second hand and got a 2008 Specialized's Epic from Jerky on here. Will tinker the spec a little and see how I get one. Saved me a few quid over going new!

Only thing to watch out on with Epics is the sensitive Brain system which seem to be prone to stopping working correctly.

As soon as it starts playing up then don't delay getting it serviced. And get it serviced regularly....

But apart from that, you'll like the bike, for sure.

Should be good its seen little action in its life and virtually none at all in the last 12 months. I'm rigid only these days!

Back