My '97 Hei Hei.

definitely preferable to a botched welded on disc mount. Looks good, the old frames can still hack it out on the trails!

stevet1":3bvd3hqv said:
definitely preferable to a botched welded on disc mount.

I agree with you Steve. I was talking to a geezer a few years ago about adding disc mounts to ti frames (I had a '96 Marin Team Ti at the time) and he'd sent his Hei Hei back to the States (Ti sports I guess?) to have a complete new back end with a disc mount put on. As I remember it was costing in the region of £350.00! He said he loved his bike and couldn't see himself parting with it, just wanted to run discs.

I ended up having a disc tab fabricated and installed on the Marin (I know, sacrilege!) by GB Prestige in Dronfield, cost £100 but I had to tidy up the pigeon-shit welding and re-grind/file the disc tab into a nicer shape. You ever worked with ti? It's bloody tough! Much harder to drill and file than steel!

I sold the frame a year later to a friend who still uses it to this day without any problems at all.

Kona Hei Hei

I agree too easy to spoil the look of the back end by getting a Disk mount welded on. To be honest a decent V-Brake on the back with a disk up front works a treat anyway. I'll post pics of my beauty once I get the new decals on it.

Re: Kona Hei Hei

younggeoff":3a68t7ix said:
a decent V-Brake on the back with a disk up front works a treat anyway. I'll post pics of my beauty once I get the new decals on it.

Yup, and if you use an Avid mech disc up front and a V brake at the back you can use matching levers.

Pics of a Hei Hei Geoff?

:)

i'm running a shimano hydraulic disk on the front and magura hydraulic rim brake on the rear... levers are completely different shape and colour.

most people don't even notice

Tranquility, where's the place in your photos?

Looks vaguely familiar to me - even in darkest Lancashire.

Deelam, it's on the outskirts of Helensburgh, about 20 miles from Glasgow.

I got sent here by the Navy from Portsmouth just before the 7 Stanes opened, God bless 'em.

Back