Status
Not open for further replies.

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Now taking nominations for the Feb 2012 road Bike of The Month (rBoTM) contest. Post them up here :cool:

1965 Masi Special

I have attempted to get good photos of this bike many many times using different cameras, but the colour scheme just doesn't want to replicated. The frame was built in 1965 (as indicated by the marking on the steer tube of the fork). It has what I feel to be the most elegant chainset ever, the Magistroni Super Zenith. If you look carefully, you will note that the crank arms are self-extracting with an allen key. It would appear that when Shimano came out with "their" one key release, it was little more than a re-release of this already existing idea whose patent had just expired... Cinelli stem with Masi stem badge. Universal Mod. 61 brakes, Brooks saddle still with the old skirt markings in the oval. Campagnolo Record derailleurs, large flange hubs, saddlepin.

I have opened another thread dealing with this bike, where you can see more photos: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185584

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 3,306
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 3,306
Here's my 1989 Merlin Titanium.

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

Two very, very different but equally pleasing builds. Love the diversity the site brings.

@dancingjack, great pics, extra point for the retrobike sticker too :cool: Is the frame really '89? Looks like it could be 10 years newer, all credit to Merlin!

Hi John, thank you for the compliments. As far as I am aware, the frame is from 89 and you can see from the BB n the little stud below the top tube. It's really a beautiful frame. Can't wait to get it out in the sun again for a ride! =)

John":2dkdmmeg said:
Two very, very different but equally pleasing builds. Love the diversity the site brings.

@dancingjack, great pics, extra point for the retrobike sticker too :cool: Is the frame really '89? Looks like it could be 10 years newer, all credit to Merlin!

My vote will be for the Masi even though I can't see the Merlin here at work and there's no other contenders at the moment - what a great bike!

Mark.

I agree it'd be hard to toss the Sachs tape. A red turbo would complete the shades of red emsemble :)

Yellow would work better than white too I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back