alpinestars cromega, updated 9/12/12 page3

If you stayed with the 1 1/4" headset there are some nice quill stems on eBay at the moment ;)

And I have an old 1 1/4" XT threaded headset going spare...

update time! :D

i have collected a few bits, the fork isn't sorted yet, i have a 1 1/4 steerer but i need to get some thread cut on it to make it fit the frame. i also have decided to go down the Sram route. i have always disliked the stuff but there were bits over the years that i have liked the look of. never been a fan of gripshift but i have some halfpipe shifters on the way from the US, i got the brakes from ebay NOS aswel as the mech from ebay.

i am paranoid the mech is gonna explode, they always seemed to break across the faceplate and the brake arms weigh a tonne!

haen't decided what to do wheel wise at the moment and still deliberating on what chainset to go for.

but here's a few update pics anyway :D

Attachments

• as6.jpg
    as6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • as5.jpg
    as5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,283
  • as3.jpg
    as3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,283
Looking interesting so far... :cool:

On mine, I'm thinking of using a top-pull e-type front mech as I have a spare cable stop due to the Maguras I'm fitting - but that's a ways down the road yet.

a little update, got the chainset and b/b fitted, might need a bigger ring on it though as the front mech doesn't reach very well as it's ideally designed for a 46 or 48 tooth ring but this chainset has a 42 top ring, so i'll got for a 44 and see what it's like then.

also i got the sticker kit from Gil, got them fitted, really pleased with them, i thought they'd had to be different to what Mark had previously on the frame and i liked these because they were nice and bright.

also i have in my possession now a 1 1/4 die to cut some thread on the steerer so i'm gonna see if i can get that done at work tomorrow. after that is done i can get moving abit on this as i feel it keeps stalling due to various issues.

and remember i am building this neo-retro, hence the spec and riser bar!

anyway here's a few pics :D

Attachments

• as4.jpg
    as4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 800
  • as3.jpg
    as3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 800
  • as2.jpg
    as2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 800
  • as1.jpg
    as1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 800
those decals remind me of refreshers! :) loving this :) super-well-jealous! :) makes me want cromega! :)

steve, it's not getting a white saddle!!! :LOL: :LOL:

but something else happened that is almost as bad, when i fitted the m737 chainset the top ring was a little small at 42t, meaning the front mech was too high and that can not be altered so the obvious thing to do was go bigger on the chainset. ideally i would have liked to have got a bigger ring for the m737 but in the end i decided to be financially sensible and swap the 4 arm (yes you read right, 4 arm) chainset from the proflex to this and use the 5 arm m737 on the proflex, the reason for this is purely to save buying a chainring so when i have more funds i'll sort a chainring and swap them back.

also the steerer is going to work on saturday and should be sorted so that means i can getit rolling as i have purchased some wheels for it, lx on x221 rims which should be fine for it. :D

Attachments

• as12.jpg
    as12.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 726
i have sort of finished this. it's not specced quite as i wanted at the mo. i am still waiting for the thread to be cut on the fork steerer but in the meantime it has just been sort of in the way in the work stand so i wanted to get it into atleast a rolling chassis, then i sort of couldn't stop. :roll:

so i fitted a pair of rockshox judy forks, found a used cassette and chain and got the whole thing running.

remember this is a neo-retro build so not in any way trying to be period spec or catalogue or whatever.

i wanted an older frame that could take v brakes without the unsightly unused canti hanger and that suggested a more modern build generally hence the parts chosen, also i wanted to use parts that i wouldn't usually use, hence sram components.

being honest i expected this to ride that a bag of poop but the quick blast around the block suggests it rides pretty nicely so i'll have to make sure i give it a proper blast quite soon, and with 18 days off work starting on thursday that shouldn't be an issue!! :D :D

anyway here's some pics! :D

Attachments

• cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 684
  • cm2.jpg
    cm2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 684
  • cm3.jpg
    cm3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 684
Back