1996 Specialized Ground Control

Slow6":19631y8k said:
Will you be part of my one man wooden grip R&D team?

:D :D
...let the postman do his job and I shall do mine...

Count me in for 'the team' as a (or should I say 'the') member.
Sound very important: 'the one man wooden grip R&D team' :cool:

Thought I should update the spec sheet and post a recent Pic in this thread.
Pretty close to happy with the bike now.. It hammers along silently and since the bombers and new headset went on I have a new found confidence in it. Magics have been swapped out for the larger tread of the smokes and darts which I much prefer. Sadly I cracked one of the rosewood grips being impatient and a little brutal while swapping bars and levers, a good excuse to make a new set I guess.

Things I'd like to do to it still are try out a flite saddle, perhaps upgrade the derailleurs (although the cheapies haven't left me wanting yet), Build it a wheelset and maybe one look at getting the rear shock replaced with something nice.

Attachments

• UPDATE.jpg
    UPDATE.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 5,607
A few changes since the last update.. trying thumbies for a while. Put on a new set of tyres for the summer holidays and remembered to take a pic before all that sweet NOSness was ruined.

very cool! the flite makes it look much better, allthough the brown saddle did work great with your own grips!

is this the only year Specialized made the rear end like this?

Rio":2n4ru13i said:

As far as I know it was but might well be wrong. More of a soft tail than anything you would call full suspension, there aint a lot of travel back there :LOL:

Slow6":29xh7zoj said:
Rio":29xh7zoj said:

As far as I know it was but might well be wrong. More of a soft tail than anything you would call full suspension, there aint a lot of travel back there :LOL:

sounds like a good ride though. any idea how much travel?

Rio":2i753ick said:
Slow6":2i753ick said:
Rio":2i753ick said:

A massive 1 and 1/4 inch! It is a great frame to ride, my absolute fave.

Slow6":sfisgpiz said:
Rio":sfisgpiz said:
Slow6":sfisgpiz said:
Rio":sfisgpiz said:

A massive 1 and 1/4 inch! It is a great frame to ride, my absolute fave.

massive it is! :LOL: ;)

hey slow 6-
im hoping youre still active on this site and can give me a little advice here.
i own the same bike and ive had it since i was like 15. ive put thousands of miles on it and its in desperate need of some updates but im willing to sink some money into it because of the sentimental value it has.
im blown away by the restoration you did- so if you get this message maybe we can talk about some of the work you did.
id appreciate any input as im not super learned in bike mods.
thanks in advance
-ridetheridetheride

Back