Might have to get a road bike, anyone help?

development_cycle":29lo5ssc said:
Have to be honest, never thought of using an MTB. Not sure I'd really want to on a 60 mile road race either. Food for thought though.
Im doing a 65 miler on march 18th this year for the longleat lionheart in aid of the british heart foundation.All i got is a Raleigh Pioneer 160 commuter bike (i took the mud guards and panniers off)
with skinny tires and sus forks and that'll have to do!
http://www.thelionheart.co.uk/event-registration/

mtb on slicks will do the job fine.....gearing may need a tweek and make sure you have a change of hand position available as big miles on one set of grips can get tedious.....a well sorted road bike is the best way though if an option!... ;)

Put slicks on your MTB and change the front ring to a 50 (or more) - that will do you fine. Don't buy a road bike unless you really want one, I ended up putting flat bars and bar ends on mine, but as I have finally entered a race I need to go back to drops as they don't allow bar ends on anything other than a mtb.

I'm a bit unsure about why this thrad\ has been moved but anupdate to all thos concerned. I have made a decision to build an MTB that I bought already into a drop bar crossy thing for the event, or at least I think anyway. So the question now is, what drop bars are good for this and will fit an mtb stem, and just as important is levers/shifters' this is most certainly a complete mystery for me.

Answers on a postcard please

I've just fitted a midge bar from on-one - wide flared ends, short drop average reach and very offroadable, I'm using modern shimano "brifters" - they sit at an angle on this bar but I prefer it.

bars sound good, they good for mtb stem? Also when you say brifters do you just mean standard sti's for road bikes? If so would they be ok with v brakes?

Brifters: brake shifter combo = standard road STI fit but I also had road flat bar shifters (with seperate v levers) and these didn't fit - think road bike diameters are constant where as mtb are 26in the middle and drop to 22 where the bit fit.

To be honest I don't know the leverage differences for caliper brakes and V's so can't be sure if road levers could pull v brakes - I suspect not but they could probably pull cantis.

Ah, well the stem is an mtb one and the frame is for V brakes so whatever "brifters" I get will need to cope with V brakes, and the bars would have to go into a 25.4mm gap. I could shim I suppose

You can get mini vbrakes that work with road levers. Cyclocross bikes use them. Saying that, having efficient braking on a road bike with skinny tyres is asking for trouble when the roads are wet. Road bikes have crappy caliper brakes for a very good reason.

Back