Koga-Miyata SkyExpension

Elev12k":1yfpoec9 said:
A Koga-Miyata hardtail frame, in this case full aluminium. A couple design features:
- snake stays that curl round the tyre and offer clearance for rings
- delta force monostay with integrated stops, with some models enabled use of a small damper (softail setup)
- no bridge between chainstays, to prevent mud collecting
- crud catcher mounts
- anti chain suck mounts

The frame does show resemblance with the full suspension. The basic layout of the front triangle is the same and they do share some frameparts. Greg raced these hardtails (sometimes in softail setup) in dual slalom events.

6835995745_d2363b409c_b.jpg

6835990263_f7af52ee5c_z.jpg

That is one sexy frame :shock:

Thank you

I do not think it will be a project in the very short run. In the planning it sits behind the frame of next post.

1989 Koga-Miyata RidgeRunner

The same frame as Greg conquered the 1990 UCI downhill world title with. He had a Rock Shox RS-1 fitted, this frame an American built Tange Switchblades. This is an aftermarket fork. The original fork is a nice lugged unicrown.

I have the intention to build it with Dirtdrops.

6841001923_0ab336a5b6_b.jpg

6841009353_a4dcea733e_z.jpg

Elev12k":rapral3k said:
1989 Koga-Miyata RidgeRunner

The same frame as Greg conquered the 1990 UCI downhill world title with. He had a Rock Shox RS-1 fitted, this frame an American built Tange Switchblades. This is an aftermarket fork. The original fork is a nice lugged unicrown.

I have the intention to build it with Dirtdrops.

6841001923_0ab336a5b6_b.jpg

6841009353_a4dcea733e_z.jpg

nice! I'm toying with the idea of building a bike with a dropbar too.
any idea yet on what bar you're going to use?

I bought a job lot NOS dropbars a while ago. One Dirtdrop example was part of it. Branded Specialized, but it will be a Nitto probably.

a couple more pics

"RidgeRunner" >>

6841025119_da262ae144_z.jpg

The frame is built with Hardtlite FM-1 triple butted Spiral Spline from Miyata's own tubing mill >>

6841013819_9f2cacc78a_z.jpg

Do todays World's winning frames come with a Lifetime Guarantee?? >>

6841026313_af7f1dfc9b_z.jpg

The American Built Switchblades uses more oversized legs than the regular Switchblades. The topcaps are metal intead of rubber and the crown is anodized >>

6841019003_66a47d3fc1_z.jpg

Wow, you got some very nice Koga's there, never seen these before?
How is the weight? I had a Terrarunner once and I found it pretty heavy for a tripple butted.

What have you never seen? The RidgeRunner or all of them?

The RidgeRunner is lighter than the TerraRunner of the same year. The RidgeRunner is more racy: lighter and with a more racy geometry.

The same Hardtlite FM-1 tubing decal you spot on bikes ranging from FullPro to Randonneur. It is always the same stuff, but the difference is in the dimensions: wall thickness, length of butted sections. Also within a certain model the dimensions differ, depending on frame size.

The original owner of the pictured RidgeRunner lived 30 meter from the sea, at the beach. Thanks to the 7 step coat the frame still looks very good. I collected the bike when trying to catch the ferry on my way to OWMTBC 2010 in Wales. At Mr. Kawasaki's place I stripped it from its parts and we wrapped it in protective foil. Possibly some people who attended OW do remember the frame.

I have been collecting Koga MTB's since very long. I also have garments and memorabilia from both Koga-Miyata and Miyata. Only later I started collecting 'strange' brands and a couple years after that I took off with roadbikes.

GregH.jpg

i've found retrobike 5/6 year ago while searching for miyata in the web....the first was 1 of your

you have nice collection

how many miyatas are you owner ? mtb and road

Back