Peugeot Elite (ss/fg)

Racecraft76

Dirt Disciple
Thought I should post this up.

I had wanted to have a single speed bike for a while and this was a gumtree find a few years ago. It was a complete bike, but the wheels were too far gone as were the mechs, so it was given the single speed treatment.

When I built it up it originally had a set of its own single speed wheels with mavic rims, but a drunk neighbour jumped on the wheels making them look like pringles. The Token wheels pictured get switched out between my Cinelli Gazzetta and the Peugeot Elite, depending what i want to ride.

1987 peugeot Elite
Token Track wheels (flip flop hub) on loan from my Gazzetta
17 tooth freewheel and fixed cog
Shimano bottom bracket
Doctored shimano crank (mounts for smallest chain ring ground off for clearance)
Stronglight 48 tooth ring (ring mounted on inside of spider for perfect chainline)
ITM quil stem from a 90s Raleigh that had been reversed into by a van. (freecycle find)
Chopped and flipped drops
Shimano 600 aero brakelevers from the afore mentioned Raleigh
weinemann brakes (original)
Giant saddle originally from my Giant M1
welgo pedals with zefal cages and straps from a Glasgow freecycle member.

The bike cost a whole £40 to buy and build originally before the wheel incident, with most parts i needed either coming from my odds and ends part boxes or freebies from freecycle or gumtree.

This is probably the bike i use most, and will hopefully have its own wheels again soon. :)

d565c8c7.jpg

fc78d11a.jpg

Like that frame a lot! I am just about to complete a GT mtb build for my daily cross country commute, and my next project is going to be a 'budget' racer. I am the reverse to most people, requiring off road ability for commuting and on road ability for pleasure.

I like the Peugeot frames, and your one looks great in red. Just out of interest, what groupset would this have had originally?

old pugs take single speed well for some strange reason i have done 2 now and they both felt right for some strange reason

SIMONFREESE":1mdfhq12 said:
I like the Peugeot frames, and your one looks great in red. Just out of interest, what groupset would this have had originally?

DSCF1163.jpg

I Cant remember to be honest. This is the only picture i have of it after i bought it, cleaned it and assessed the condition of its components.

Simplex seems to ring true of certainly some of the groupset.

The groupset certainly looked like this, but obviously on a different frame. The frame pictured is still a Carbolite 103, but my frame has an internally routed rear brake.

1984nl_06.jpg

I can find info on almost every other type and model of Peugeot but nothing on my Elite.

Back