Orange - It is what it is.

giant-one":q9d8h8w4 said:
Saw this last night, now how to get a new five without the Mrs knowing. :D :roll:
Love it :D

Just get it sent to your work like you do with the rest of your bike stuff. She'll never know! ;) :LOL:

Good to see a workshop like that producing decent quantities of highly rated kit.

brocklanders023":15ycq52r said:
giant-one":15ycq52r said:
Saw this last night, now how to get a new five without the Mrs knowing. :D :roll:
Love it :D

Just get it sent to your work like you do with the rest of your bike stuff. She'll never know! ;) :LOL:

:roll: :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

Takes me back to my powder coating days. And THE ODD SHOCK i got when i was rushing and touched things that shouldn't be touched.

Always thought there's a lot of work goes into those frames.

jamabikes":vphbpau4 said:
the alignment chap was awesome :LOL:
Me too! 'what do you do if its out of line?' - 'well, we just put this here and... WHACK!!, there you go.' Cool as a cucumber.

I sense a spate of new fives being bought all of a sudden!!

I sense a spate of new fives being bought all of a sudden!![/quote said:
OK, I'm ready for the reaction to my comments but here goes.

I'm in the market for a 5" travel bike and was considering an Orange 5
but watching this video has not encouraged me to go with Orange.
Why ?

Well. their facilities and working practices remind me of seeing a video of British Leyland making cars (or not making them) from the 60's. All hammers and 1960's style practices........

Compare Orange's "Manufacturing" facilities with those of Hope. A million miles apart.

Hope use CRC machines to consistantly produce quality piece of bike jewellery.And it's more than just fancy CRC machines. It's clean professional facilities with professional staff.

Look at Oranges welding area, most engineering workshops have moved away form 1970 style Tit calendars a long time ago.

It just looked like a back street garage to me.I'm sure it works for them, but it has not encouraged me to consider an Orange.Yes, I know it's all about the ride but............Maybe the manufacturing facilities of Yeti et al are no better.But at least they have the decency to keep them behind closed doors.Orange must be very proud to have these feature on the internet.

The guy who "adjusts" the frame with a selection of hammers and jigs.Why are they not able to consistantly TIG weld an ali frame so that "adjustment" is not required ? I hope their heat-treatment process takes all the induced stresses out. Or maybe it's the fact that their frames are so heavy that stops them failing in service.

And Guy does not help matters.Nice bloke, but he comes across as a bit of a simpleton.

sorry chap but i dont think you really get the whole hand built bit. people are not robots. metals are not all the same. i would much rather see a frame have this much attention lavished on it than not. as for the 70's feel to the workshop? not sure i give two hoot(er)s tbh, but if the nature of the welder can put you off buying the bike then so be it. cuts the waiting list down for others i guess.

Back