The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to guage the option of a resale...
I have a Handbuilt Sirius Winter Training frame in Reynolds 531 Competition. Plan was to sell as it is, requiring a Top Tube repair. However, going to get this fixed. Have been quoted approx £90 for repair, paint & lacquer...
So, with the Frame & Forks gleaming, what would people be interested in paying if you were after a Winter Road Frame?

I've got a 1988 Ridgeback 602 frame - medium size, grey colour. Tange steel tubing, with original forks, bars and front brakes (rear U-brake no longer with it though).

In fairly good condition for a near 25 year old frame, although obviously some stone chips and some paint worn off the chainstays.

Been harbouring thoughts of rebuilding it for years, but now finally come to terms with the fact that it's going to be hanging in my garage for ever and a day so will probably sell.

Is there any market for something like this and how much might it go for?

can post some pictures tonight.

Hi all,

Looking for guidance as to what sort of price I should advertise the following frame for. Below is a previous thread which shows images:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=#1357251

Here are some more details:

1998 16 inch 6061 aluminium GT Avalanche frame. Centre of head tube, along top tube, to centre of seat tube is 21.5 inches. Centre of bottom bracket to where seat tube intersects top tube is 16 inches.

Finished in GT original (and rarely seen) 'atomic burst' gold paint with original white on black decals. A few light scratches, small paint chips and marks here and there but overall a very clean example.

All tubing is straight. No bends, dents, dings or cracks. No chain slap. All fish scale welds are perfect.

V Brake bosses and original replaceable rear mech hanger.

Also included: in as new condition Truvative Elita ISIS Drive 172.5mm crankset on a splined bottom bracket (pedals shown in pics not included).

Thanks for any opinions!

I'd appreciate help with pricing this please:

A Knight frame with an assortment of complimentary bits:
531 butted f+f, Campag dropouts. 59cm x 57cm
27" Rigida rims on Pelissier (French) hubs, Michelin Elan 25mm tyres)
Suntour band-on shifters
Suntour SVX rear mech
Selle Italia Exo Saddle
SR stem, unbranded bars
Dura-ace front mech
Dura-ace brakes with Weinmann levers
Allez chainset (52-42)
Tange headset
Dura-ace cable clips (hardly relevant, but a nice touch!)
Am thinking £200-£230 - does that sound right, or would I be under/over selling it?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 704
Knight

I'm not an expert but it may struggle at the moment, I put up a lovely Gazelle for 245 and not a sniff even tho people said it was a bargain at that price; I also put up a Gitane with a very expensive Campy crankset that had no takers and replaced the crank with an SR, made 120.
531 tubeset and campy dropouts means you have a super frame but a bit of a mixed bag of components.
If you super-cleaned and polished it , fitted new bar tape and took some really good photos you may get the price though... ;-)

slh40":2mt4h979 said:
I've got a 1988 Ridgeback 602 frame - medium size, grey colour. Tange steel tubing, with original forks, bars and front brakes (rear U-brake no longer with it though).

In fairly good condition for a near 25 year old frame, although obviously some stone chips and some paint worn off the chainstays.

Been harbouring thoughts of rebuilding it for years, but now finally come to terms with the fact that it's going to be hanging in my garage for ever and a day so will probably sell.

I'm not a Ridgeback expert but from memory the 602 was quite a low spec bike and if so I wouldn't have thought you'd get more then £20/30 max for it. Being a 1988 might prick interest but I don't think you'll be able to retire on the profit. Could be wrong though.

Theeb":2zvdnc6d said:
I'd appreciate help with pricing this please:

A Knight frame with an assortment of complimentary bits:
531 butted f+f, Campag dropouts. 59cm x 57cm
27" Rigida rims on Pelissier (French) hubs, Michelin Elan 25mm tyres)
Suntour band-on shifters
Suntour SVX rear mech
Selle Italia Exo Saddle
SR stem, unbranded bars
Dura-ace front mech
Dura-ace brakes with Weinmann levers
Allez chainset (52-42)
Tange headset
Dura-ace cable clips (hardly relevant, but a nice touch!)
Am thinking £200-£230 - does that sound right, or would I be under/over selling it?
Thanks.

Saw Mr Knight over Chrimbo and he's retiring his own 531, quite a sad day I thought be he's totally unromantic about - it's just an old bike! :shock:

Anyway, I'm biased as I think he's a top bloke, but that seems like a really good price to me. I'm hoping to get his old bike on here at some point but I need to move home first!

brocklanders023":h3odqfy1 said:
slh40":h3odqfy1 said:

I'm not a Ridgeback expert but from memory the 602 was quite a low spec bike and if so I wouldn't have thought you'd get more then £20/30 max for it. Being a 1988 might prick interest but I don't think you'll be able to retire on the profit. Could be wrong though.

Thanks for the response. Not too bothered about price - main thing is that I'd rather it went to someone actually interested in retro bikes. The 602 was about £350 new I think, so yes, fairly low spec.

Will take some pics and put it up for sale on here.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back