Help what to do if you find your stolen bike on gumtree ?

Hey lads well since im still in college my dad contacted the police.

Heres what happend....

Our local station was not open till 10 so, he went to one close to city centre.
He gave all details that we found it on gumtree and that we were a hundred percent certain that it was my bike alothough they did not ask to see any pictures at all..... he was then told to wait for contact from the sargent.

after 2hours of wating he then went to our local staition to see 'What the crack was' where he was told that, 'theres a lack of resources and that there attending to a RTA..... After a little more waiting he rang police again, which a rather rude assistant decided to help the case with attitude, and that she cant help him if he hasn't got a refrence number. Which he did not get in the first place. Anyway after not getting a straight answer he rang seller to view the bike, in which he bought it for a 100 smackers.
just so a £300 didnt belong to anyone but myself :)

yes its a shame i had to pay for something that is legally mine, but the police didnt respond quick enough. I did go along to the viewing, they did look like the kind to steal. The bike itself had hardly been used just a shame the front discs warped and that the a few half decent scracthes on the bars, stem and one of the levers. Think he may of shot over the front !

Deserves him right, oh i think it may be nice of me to mention that the most probable thief said it has a front 'liquid brake'. My god me and my dad were hurting.... :LOL:

Well that absolutely frikken sucks!! :(
May I ask what area you live in, ie; which is your local constabulary.

One small crumb of comfort I would personally be taking away from this rather sorry situation is that I now know where the 'seller' of MY bike actually lives! .............and that's all I'm going to say about that on a public forum ;) :twisted: [/b]

i live in leicsester, and well got the disc reasonably straight(gonna need a new one) may go up to a 180mm disc. seatpost is unjammed although still need to unjam seatpost clamp.
Not sure what to do about rear brake though i forgot how weak it is, something to do with the able routing i think. Its an old gt timberline frame and it doenst have a cable ferral holder(thing?) on the frame. just some stupiud little round holder on the right hand side of the seattube where ive got a small bit of cable outer .

Don't forget to notify the police the bike has been recovered as you've now knowingly bought stollen goods.
And should the police check the bike for any reason it'll show as stollen.

done so they are supposed to nip and have a chat, about it so may get the money back after all, but will have to wait and see. :)

Hope you get your cash back.

I would of asked for a test ride and rode of with a one fingerd salute :LOL:

Back