New boy's old Proflex

Got to say I'm waiting with girvins and a Fox Vanilla shock in the garage for some techy help!

Hurry up, it's cold in here and the spiders are planning a mass assault...

Been a bit tardy finishing off the build I'm afraind. You know, work getting in the way, cold weather, laziness etc.

However, I do have ALL parts, and only need to powdercoat the swing arm before assembling it, so it wont be too long!

Regarding fitting the shock, what do you need to know?

Love the old Proflex bikes.
Will be keen to see this bike build, but got to say I'm pro-elastomer and can give you some links to buy some shiny new yellow elastomers ;)
Bet the Girvins will ride better with the air shock.
love the old pics

apache":14kff8wj said:
Been a bit tardy finishing off the build I'm afraind. You know, work getting in the way, cold weather, laziness etc.

However, I do have ALL parts, and only need to powdercoat the swing arm before assembling it, so it wont be too long!

Regarding fitting the shock, what do you need to know?

Hey thanks, it's more some guidance I'm after, the idea of changing the linkages around to make the shock fit plus any bespoke bits for the job is not something I've thought about.

I guess the cantilever action has to be modified, looking at your pics I think my Fox shock may be a bit long, I'll measure it properly later.

Looking forward to your review of the modification !

Well, it's certainly not a difficult task. If the length of your shock is compatible (somewhere around 190mm or 165mmm) all you might need to do is make a new lower pivot to suit the mounting diameter.

Admittedly if you don't have access to a lathe, then it becomes an issue of finding the right diameter rod and sleeve to suit, but still not insurmountable!

I need to get off my arse and sharpen my cutters / buy some new ones before I can offer to make the bits for you though! A go at machining a particularly tough alloy late last year has done for mine!

All jokes aside I think as mentioned earlier in the thread this may generate significant interest from Girvin advocates.

I still like the traditional elastomers from a nostalgia point of view but the thought of a sealed robust shock assembly has great appeal.

Now to source a short air shock or two....

I was going to fit a short air shock at the rear too, but on the model I have, it would require an unfeasibly short shock, or some cutting and welding, and I don't want to get that far from originality.

Looks like the back end will be elastomer, but probably the proper yellow stuff from the states rather than Landrover ARB bushes.

apache":1g2apsh9 said:
I was going to fit a short air shock at the rear too, but on the model I have, it would require an unfeasibly short shock, or some cutting and welding, and I don't want to get that far from originality.

Looks like the back end will be elastomer, but probably the proper yellow stuff from the states rather than Landrover ARB bushes.

I read somewhere (prob. here on the forum) that people even used skateboard wheels as replacement elastomers!

There are a number of ARB type solutions from what I've seen, even expensive options like Powerflex, but skateboard wheels are a new one on me.

As Apache has noted, the rear solution is probably best using the correct elastomers from the US, perhaps we could club together for a bulk order and maybe save on import/postage....

I have a 955 with Girvins arriving today and the elastomers look original so probably rock hard. My 754 also needs rears so it's already mounting up. Pending a short air shock mod on the Girvins of course!

Back