1965 Cinelli SC Pista

dubrat

Dirt Disciple
Hey guys I haven't posted much on this forum but thought I would post re my Rejuvenation of my new find

Well after having the fright of my life when I came home to see the Courier company had damaged the box but luckly not the frame ( thanks to VeloHub's packing ) I now have my Cinelli pista project home with me in Sunny Rockhampton.

There is not much in the way of LBS that know what they are doing with older bike up here so the point of this thread is for me to ask questions the the BNA peeps when I come up against a hurdle.

Here is Tom's story ( the man I bought it off )on the ride

picked this up off a mate who works as a removalist. came with steel 650b rims laced to a rear record hub and front first gen dura ace, got rid of them pretty quickly and replaced with 32/40 record(pre stamped) laced to gold fiamme rims.

other parts are:
cinelli #1 stem/#14 bars
first gen record pista cranks/bb
25 tooth campagnolo chainring
record headset
the coventry chain
unicator saddle
christophe cages
zues pedals

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

So First things first this is going to be a rejuvenation type project trying to keep it as original as possible....

The frame and it's parts are not in the best condition and the first thing on the cards is to pull the whole thing down and give it a bit of a clean with dishwashing liquid. I'm going to give Oxalic Acid a go on the chrome parts and see how they come up and if need be use a rust converter to finish the job.

There are a couple of parts still to chase being a Head tube badge, 60's Campy pista pedals.

It's almost impossible to work out a build date due to Cinelli's SN system but Judging from the Cinelli Register It may have been built in 1965.

It has not oil ports in the BB and the tanges on the inside of the forks have no holes but if anyone knows any more that can help with dating please chimp in... ( SirKev, Spirito )

Here are some showtime pics taken today

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Heading home from work soon to begin and will take more better pics.

Started the tear down yesterday and Got stuck into cleaning the forks and all the grime came off and it looks great....

P1311817.jpg

P1311835.jpg

From this
P1311830.jpg

Left side done
P2011840.jpg

Both done
P2011843.jpg

Not polished yet

Start on the frame tomorrow.....

And I bought one of these in 7 tooth to have track gearing

B81kQvgCWkKGrHqMOKogEyjC025BM4Fq7uH70_12.jpg

Can't believe this hasn't had more comments - What a fabulous find , the absolute best of the best in its day . If it was my project , and I really wish it was mine , like you , I would keep the original paint ,decals and chrome ,defiantly the right move unless the rust is really bad . Nothing wrong with Zeus pedals but I'm not so sure about the gold rims . Keep the pics coming much appreciated .

Thanks guys

Yes I am on the look out for some Fiamme Sprint rims from the mid 60's but its a long shot

Anyone care to suggest a era correct rim??

Cheers

Adrian

Wow, that's lovely as it is, I'd not touch a thing! What are those every-other-tooth cogs like to ride when it gets a bit bumpy? Does the chain stay on ok?

Putting it back together

Re-installed the fork today.... Frame is now as free of rust as I can get it.... and got as much of the grime as I can with a cloth and detergent.... The paint so so brittle in some spots then perfect in others

I really love this frame...

P2191999.jpg

P2192003.jpg

P2192000.jpg

also finished cleaning the Crankset

P2192005.jpg

Anyone have a Non Record 36H rear hub at all......

Well spent some more time on this and put the bb in and fitted the Cranks.
P3112390.jpg

P3112392.jpg

Also dissassembled the wheelset in readiness to be built up with correct era Fiamme rims when I find some....
P3102372.jpg

Chainring clearance is tiny....
P3112391.jpg

Back